Update LSI 9211-8I Firmware to work with 9.3 or do it after 9.3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

webpilot

Dabbler
I have read and followed the forums for a while, and this is my first post.

Server is a dell R510 with 12 disks in raid 10 running 9.2.1.5 booted from a thumb drive. I upgraded it to 9.3 and got the error that my LSI firmware did not match. I read posts listing to downgrade the HBA to V16 from V17 with 9.3 or to upgrade to 9.3.1 and then flash the card to V20. I have a replicated copy of the pools on a separate R515 unit running 9.2.1.5.

I wanted to ask if it was recommended to do the upgrade from 9.3 to 9.3.1 stable using the current firmware mismatch and then flash the 9211-8I to ver 20 firmware or is it recommended to do the V16 downgrade first so there are no errors and then update to 9.3.1 and then flash the card to V20? Any comments here on the path would be appreciated.

No data is being accessed from the pool by remote units, but they are mounted. I am keeping the server off until I have all this strait and I lay out the next steps. I assumed that I wanted to make sure that I am not scrubbing the data as to not corrupt anything also. I have been learning as I go. Thanks in advance.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
You can do it either way, just disconnect your pool from the machine to protect the pool from possible damage during the period of driver/firmware mismatch.
i.e. you could flash the cards firmware first, then do the update to 9.3.1. After you have no warning, shut down the server and re-connect your drives
and re-boot into 9.3.1

More times than not, your pool will be recognized and your good to go. Let us know how you make out.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You upgraded but not too the most recent build? I think that is worse than just staying in an older build. Upgrade to the most recent and flash the v20 firmware.

webpilot

Dabbler
BigDave, Thanks for the reply. I will physically pull the trays out and get the upload completed. Then flash the HBA.

SweetAndLow, The box was upgraded after 9.3 stable was released. When I read about the FW HBA issues and what was envisioned for 9.3.1 in the future, I migrated my most relevant working files to two other R510s until I had time to deal with it.

I will update how things go in either case.

webpilot

Dabbler
Status
Not open for further replies.