Bridging Nics of different speeds?

Ianm_ozzy

Dabbler
Hi all
I have been looking into bridging connections to basically turn the my freeas machine into a switch.

As it is always on and has been very reliable it seems practical.

It has a a gigabit nic already and works well.

Setting up a bridge is fairly well documented.

There is something I am unsure of and cannot seem to find info on.
My knowledge on networking is finite so are unsure about that.

If I create a bridge between multiple nics of different speeds will it work?

I have a machine with a 2.5 gigbit nic and want to take advantage of the speed, without spending a lot on expensive/very hard to find switches. Well that is the case where I live.

So I want to get a 2.5 gigbit nic. Then bridge the onboard nic (1 gigbit) and it together and connect the 1 gigbit onboard to router as normal.

So then assuming the freenas machine functions as normal I can access the internet & share drives at 2.5 gigbit.

Oh and in case of connectivity issues I have a usb NIC ready to plug in the the machine with a connection to the router in case of any issues with the NAS.

Thanks

Useful info appreciated.

Heracles

Wizard
Hi @Ianm_ozzy,

It is strongly discouraged to use FreeNAS for anything but its role of a NAS. FreeNAS is designed as an appliance and should be used as one. It should not be used as an Internet facing server, as a router or in your case, as a switch. Considering the price of an actual switch, you should get yourself one. Here, I recently bought an 8 port Gigabit switch with support for .1Q and for less than 75$ CAN, tax and shipping included.

Do some search and you will easily find a way better alternative than turning FreeNAS into a switch.