Bootplan

corin.corvus

Dabbler
Hi,

may i start the nas by time? I no need the NAS online every time. I want to boot up on 7:00 and shutdown on 23:00. My Shutdown Script work, but i have no idea (except WOL over other Device) to start the NAS again. Can i use a script to wake up the NAS with an init script or do i need a remote device with wol?

My Mainboard does support wake on lan and other, but i cant set a start time or similar like that.

Thanks

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Hi,

may i start the nas by time? I no need the NAS online every time. I want to boot up on 7:00 and shutdown on 23:00. My Shutdown Script work, but i have no idea (except WOL over other Device) to start the NAS again. Can i use a script to wake up the NAS with an init script or do i need a remote device with wol?

My Mainboard does support wake on lan and other, but i cant set a start time or similar like that.

Thanks
If the system is shutdown, it can't run a script to wakeup

IPMI can be used to start a server class system.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
It would help greatly to know which hardware we are talking about. Please have a look at the forum rules what details you should provide.

Arwen

MVP
Features such as WOL, (Wake On LAN), sometimes require OS support. Which for TrueNAS is likely spotty or outright missing. TrueNAS does not support every potential usage or application. Nor was it intended to be the end all NAS.

Back to WOL. This is a external network type feature, meaning this feature does not include a start time. (Some vendor might has a wake time feature in their BIOS or WOL, but that is not directly a WOL feature.) The WOL is triggered over the network by another computer sending the WOL packet to the sleeping computer. If done properly, the sleeping computer then "wakes" up.

As pointed out, if the NAS has IPMI, it can be used to remotely "wake" up the NAS.