Booting storage problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

erick vogeler

Dabbler
Hi

I have an Ibm 3550 m2 with perc 200 p20 it

Now I have 2 sub drives for boot, when I but the second one goes degraded but once I unplug and plug back. It goes back to normal.

Any suggestions?

Note tried different ports and different usb's with same result. Seems like freenas is only able to mount one drive instead of the two ?

Is there a way to remount the second drive without having to physically disconnect it?

Also say I turn off the server, it should boot with either one of the key if I unplug one ?

Regards

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Now I have 2 sub drives for boot, when I but the second one goes degraded but once I unplug and plug back. It goes back to normal.
I assume a "sub" drive is a USB Thumb drive? If that's the case, you're describing some pecularity of your BIOS or USB bus. That would have nothing to do with FreeNAS.

Note tried different ports and different usb's with same result. Seems like freenas is only able to mount one drive instead of the two ?
FreeNAS can mount 15 boot drives, no problem. It's your system that is the problem.

Is there a way to remount the second drive without having to physically disconnect it?
Assuming the thumb drive is not faulty is some way: as this is a system-related problem, and not a FreeNAS one, I would recommend checking your BIOS settings. The problem is not remounting the drive, but rather, why it is unmounting in the first place.

Also say I turn off the server, it should boot with either one of the key if I unplug one ?
Yes. Mirrored boot-devices wouldn't be as useful if it did not work this way :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yes. Mirrored boot-devices wouldn't be as useful if it did not work this way :)
To be fair, it's highly dependent on the specifics of the BIOS' boot order. Though all the boot devices can be booted from, the BIOS might do something stupid that would require direct human intervention.

Status
Not open for further replies.