Booting from USB stick on Windows (32-bit) fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar

Cadet
Hello,

I installed FreeNAS on a 8GB USB stick and tried to boot from it. However, I get the following error at boot-up:

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
boot: No /boot/kernel/kernel

Can anyone help me figure out what's wrong and how I can fix it? As a note, I followed the instructions in the official online guide every step along the way.

Thanks!

Yatti420

Wizard
I'm confused.. Are you trying to virtualize freenas? Are you attempting to have a VM boot off the usb?

Yatti420

Wizard
I just found your other post and read it.. So you have an 8GB USB and it gives that error? How did you install // did you follow the FreeNAS guide for installation? http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Burning_an_IMG_File

What brand USB? High quality? Verify checksums on the img and then re-write it..

Yatti420

Wizard
Wipe the drive and try again..
If the burned image fails to boot and the image was burned using a Windows system, wipe the USB stick before trying a second burn using a utility such as Active@ KillDisk. Otherwise, the second burn attempt will fail as Windows does not understand the partition which was written from the image file. Be very careful that you specify the USB stick when using a wipe utility!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Laptops almost always do not work properly with FreeNAS. Many people won't even be able to get FreeNAS to boot completely.

Yatti420

Wizard
I completely missed that.. Indeed not worth the time to even try on a laptop..

Status
Not open for further replies.