Boot Errors - Can no longer get into Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

swissdude

Cadet
So I'm running Freenas 8 RC5. This morning Freenas was inaccessable. I finally got a chance tonight to look into it. When it's booting up it is asking me to

"Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:"

It has not done this before. After a coupe minutes I'm assuming it's timing out or something it Proceeds to say:

"CAM status: SCSI Status Error"
"SCSI status: Check Condition"
"SCSI sense: DATA PROTECT asc:27, 0 (Write protected)"

I'm not sure what needs to be done to get it to boot up again. It's never done this before. I haven't done any changes to the configuration in the last 2 weeks. I haven't opened the case (So hopefully not Open Box Syndrome). Hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

ProtoSD

MVP
So I'm running Freenas 8 RC5
I know I asked you this before, but why are you using 8.0 RC5? We're already at 8.01 Release now, RC5 is *REALLY* old.

There's not much you can do without a FreeBSD system to poke around your flash drive with. The flash could be failing, not really sure. Do you have a backup of your settings?

I suggest an upgrade to begin with.

swissdude

Cadet
I'm all for upgrading. How will it affect the hard drives and the data on them? Am I able to upgrade from having only access to the terminal?

ProtoSD

MVP
How were your disks configured? UFS? ZFS? Your data should be fine. The best way to upgrade from 8.0 RC5 to 8.01 is a clean install from CD. It might possibly recognize your existing installation and offer to upgrade, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are too many changes in the features and the database might just get really screwed up.

Post back with your disk config, but an Auto Import should work for you after upgrading.

swissdude

Cadet
OK - So I'm running ZFS with 4 physical hard drives. I'll just reinstall over the USB and the new installation will recognize my old drive configuration?

For the disk configuration what command are you wanting me to run? fdisk?

ProtoSD

MVP
I'll just reinstall over the USB and the new installation will recognize my old drive configuration?

Yes, but you'll need to go to Storage -> Volumes -> Auto Import Volumes and import your pool. It might possibly complain since you weren't able to export it properly. If that happens, post back and me or someone can tell you how to do it from the command line.

No need to run fdisk, I just needed to know if you were using ZFS.

swissdude

Cadet
Attempted to reinstall on the original flash drive. The install was full of errors and the install eventually froze. After 30 minutes I checked the drive on my Windows PC. For whatever reason it's no good. I put in another flash drive and reinstalled. Once in the webGUI the import went great. Everything is back to working as it should. Thanks so much for all of your help.

Swiss

Durkatlon

Patron
Well, I had this error as well today. During the night one of my FN8 boxes died and I didn't notice it in the morning. When I came home from work and plugged a monitor into it, the screen remained asleep (not awoken by the machine). I rebooted and got the dreaded "cannot mount, booting into rescue shell". Tried it a few more times but no love.

Then I saw this thread and based on the information here, I decided to re-flash my USB stick. No errors were seen during the physdiskwrite, and after restoring the old configuration file, I'm up and running again. I guess I shouldn't really trust this USB stick anymore though. I'll pick up a new one next time I'm at Fry's Electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.