Big CIFS delays (I think) causing havoc :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

Couple of months ago I upgraded my NAS and decided to go down the HP N54L & FreeNAS route. I was running a ReadyNAS NV+ with 4 x 2TB drives for many years but had it running at about 95% capacity for far too long. The network is very simple... Modem/Router & NAS connected to a big fat 48-Port Gigabit POE Cisco switch currently feeding only a dozen ports around the house. I have several SONOS zones plus a generic Media Player connected to the Living Room TV. Only really running a single PC for the serious stuff but have a few mobile devices connected wirelessly my wife & I use on a daily basis. Everything was working fine with the ReadyNAS... keeping it super simple and not even bothering with drive mappings I simply accessed the NAS data via the network tree in Windows with only a small delay every now & then and I was fine with that as it was rare I needed to do that. The SONOS extracted FLACs from the 'Music' share without fail and the Media Player happily played large MKVs or raw VOBs from the NAS without any problems either. The NAS was chokka block but running perfectly but I then decided I needed more space so bought the N54L, installed 6 x 4TB HDDs and I'm running FreeNAS from a USB stick... but this is where everything started to go downhill and I'm not sure why :( The SONOS has never liked the new setup and the Media Player used to work but is now refusing to and accessing the Shares via the tree in Windows now takes minutes and sometimes times out telling me it can't access the device. Problem here is that I know the rest of the network is fine because I've been forced to reconnect the old ReadyNAS and it's working perfectly as it used to so that proves something's screwy with FreeNAS or the N54L Microserver.

So, I'm blaming myself for this as the crazy flexibility & security of FreeNAS means there are soooo many options I don't ever need to use so I'm pretty sure I've stuffed something up during the setup. The ReadyNAS was amazing in that you basically just unboxed it, connected it, turned it on, setup a password & created some shares and after waiting a while it was ready to go! I expected the new NAS to be a bit fiddlier but not this bad :( After setting up the hardware I ran FreeNAS and configured it. Keeping it as stupidly simple as possible I setup the volume (one massive ZFS volume spanning all six disks) then tried to setup the Shares but couldn't because I found out I had to setup Datasets first for some reason. I created the Datasets then created CIFS Shares on top of those and pulled all permissions down to the most basic form (allow guest access and checked all access rights). They took quite a while to appear in the Windows network tree but at least I was then able to see them so I started the week long process of copying data from the old to the new.

The copy went perfectly so once done I disconnected the old NAS and pointed SONOS and the Media Player to the new NAS (same static IP address as the old NAS mind you). SONOS wouldn't even resolve the name but entering the IP seemed to force it and then it was happy and would play music without fail... but only for a day. The next day the SONOS couldn't see the library so do anything with it so I'd have to set it back up again and after a few attempts it would eventually start working... but leave it overnight and it would fail again. Connected the old NAS simultaneously with a new/different static IP, pointed SONOS to it and it instantly leapt into action and hasn't failed since. The Media Player was also giving problems and I thought it was an IP conflict so I blew another 3-4 hours troubleshooting that but eventually realised it was the new NAS as it too would work find with the old NAS.

Can anyone shed some light on what could be happening here? I've blown days & days searching & trying to troubleshoot this problem and originally though it was the SONOS but after reconnecting the old NAS and having zero problems I know it's something to do with the new NAS. I've gone through the setup guide so many times but still can't figure out how I should be setting this up as it seems to be designed for everything but those of us who just want the absolute basic setup with zero security. Maybe ZFS is just far too complex for my needs?!?! Maybe I should start again and take it back to a more boring File System?!

I'd greatly appreciate any help or suggestions anyone has because I'm very close to just going out and buying another NAS box with its own built-in OS, filling it with my drives and giving up on FreeNAS altogether. I'm that desperate.

Cheers!

toadman

Guru
Hi, you will need to provide a lot more info to get any help. For example:

Your setup:
(1) What version of FreeNAS?
(2) What does the pool structure look like? You have one massive pool with 6 disks. Did you set that up as a single RAIDZ2 vdev or something else?
(3) What datasets did you set up and with what permissions?
(4) What network connection? Single nic, presumably gigabit?
(5) What type of share did you setup on FreeNAS? CIFS?

Trouble shooting:
(6) What is your DNS setup? (You mentioned "SONOS wouldn't even resolve the name")
(7) You said "SONOS couldn't see the library" then "leave it overnight and it would fail again". What does "fail" mean? I presume it just drops the connection?
(8) What is your network topology? Are you using a single subnet? If so, what are the IPs?
(9) What about the PC? Does it work, or ever lose connection?

Etc...

These type of answers might help narrow things down. It's likely a config issue on FreeNAS. BUT, I don't know anything about SONOS other than what it is, so I have no idea what it's requirements are and if some requirement isn't being met or something.

gpsguy

Since the N54L only has 4 disk bays, how did you connect the other 2 drives. If you used the CDROM and eSATA connections did you install one of the hacked BIOS' so that you'd have AHCI support on those connections.

How much RAM do you have? Hopefully you put 16Gb in it.

Sent from my phone

Hi, you will need to provide a lot more info to get any help.

Cheers for the reply Toadman. I agree with you however to be sure I get this right and avoid any potential issues I may have caused myself from the continuous tinkering I've been doing over the last several weeks I think I'll attack this differently by starting from scratch. I need to pull a bit of new data off the NAS but should be able to get stuck into the rebuild tomorrow evening. I'll take it step by step and post the process here for comment just so I know I'm not soing anything wrong.

All I want is an absolute basic NAS with full rights & zero permissions on a few Windows shares. Can't be that difficult right?!

PS. I think gpsguy above may have hit the nail on the head with his suggestion of the hacked BIOS on the N54L so I'll probably need to address that first.

Since the N54L only has 4 disk bays, how did you connect the other 2 drives. If you used the CDROM and eSATA connections did you install one of the hacked BIOS' so that you'd have AHCI support on those connections. How much RAM do you have? Hopefully you put 16Gb in it.

Hi gpsguy. Yes, I'm running six identical bog-standard (read: cheap) Seagate 4TB drives in my N54L. HDD No.5 is connected to the CDRom SATA connection & HDD No.6 is connected to the eSATA from the rear panel. I'm only running 8Gb because I had it spare and didn't want to spend more money on the NAS until I knew it worked OK as I had read 8Gb was acceptable for most configs. If I can get this working with 8Gb I'll probably upgrade to 16Gb later on.

I'm running the factory BIOS in the N54L as I was purposely trying to keep everything as 'vanilla' and basic as possible and once I found FreeNAS identified all the drives and seemed to work OK I didn't think there would be any problems. I was under the impression I wouldn't be able to get as far as I did if I needed the hacked BIOS but it sounds like I'm going to need to run one now yeah?

gpsguy

8Gb is the minimum requirement for ZFS on FreeNAS. The other rule of thumb is 1Gb per Tb of storage. For your array, our minimum recommendation would be 16Gb. TBH, if we'd known that you were planning to run 6 - 4Tb drives, we probably would have suggested a beefier system, that had the potential to accept 32+Gb of RAM.
ZFS loves RAM. The So you want some hardware suggestions thread is a good read.

I'm only running 8Gb because I had it spare and didn't want to spend more money on the NAS until I knew it worked OK as I had read 8Gb was acceptable for most configs.

One thing we still don't know is how you configured the drives, other than "one massive ZFS volume spanning all six disks". RAIDz1, RAIDz2, stripe ... If just RAIDz1, with 4Gb drives you're living dangerously. Hopefully you have a backup solution. Does your ReadyNAS support rsync?

Given your configuration, I'd definately put one of the hacked BIOS' on it. Based on the last research I did, I'd probably go with the TheBay as opposed to the Russian one. Since I have less than 4 drives in both my N40L and N54L, I kept the factory BIOS.

Search the forum and read the documentation. Yes, it can be difficult. Unfortunately, the FreeNAS resource that I used, was deleted by the author.

All I want is an absolute basic NAS with full rights & zero permissions on a few Windows shares. Can't be that difficult right?!

TheSmoker

Patron
What I have used in the past as a really good and covering rule was the following: give freenas his 8g of ram and then add 1g of ram for each 1tb of space.

OK, lets give this a final go. Here's where I'm at...

1. BIOS hack downloaded, successfully applied to the HP N54L & BIOS settings changed as per: http://terfmop.co.uk/blog/2013/07/3...-guide-allow-hot-plug-sata-and-5th-sata-port/
2. After the BIOS hack the N54L booted FreeNAS v9.2.1.3 up as well as it used to from the internal bootable USB Device and I'm still able to access GUI via a browser plus after the usual pause I could still see the tree of NAS Shares through Windows Explorer
3. While in the GUI I deleted each Dataset, then detached the Volume opting to destroy data and mark all disks as new.
4. From the GUI Settings menu I then did a Factory Restore and once that was done I did a full shutdown & reboot.
5. On Bootup the NAS received a new Dynamic IP proving the Factory Reset had done its thing so I used it to browse to the GUI and then setup a new root password
6. Next was to set the timezone, rename the host name to 'black_nas', add the one & only inbuilt NIC as a new interface and reinstate its static IPv4 address to 192.168.0.2 with netmask 255.255.255.0
7. I re-browsed back to that original IP address and logged in then rebooted the NAS to make sure it was happy... which it was because it rebooted fine and proudly displayed its shiny new IP

So, all good thus far and onto creating a Volume now? Don't forget, I want this NAS as absolutely plain-Jane as possible without any crazy settings, restrictions or permissions.

QUICK UPDATE...

I just noticed that although I can access the NAS via the GUI and all seems OK there the NAS itself is displaying host name errors like these:

Apr 2 20:47:28 black_nas ntpd_initres[2079]: host name not found: 0.freebsd.pod.ntp.org
Apr 2 20:47:28 black_nas ntpd_initres[2079]: host name not found: 1.freebsd.pod.ntp.org
Apr 2 20:47:28 black_nas ntpd_initres[2079]: host name not found: 2.freebsd.pod.ntp.org

Any ideas as to what's going on there?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes.. you haven't setup your networking in FreeNAS appropriately.

gpsguy

To resolve this issue add your gateway and DNS servers.

Sent from my phone

Sorry, my bad. I was trying to keep it so lean I accidentally skipped over the nameserver field, doh! Fixed now.

The rest is as per the manual and exactly what I did last time... so onto creating a Volume now?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Also that address you have it is probably from your dhcp pool. Granted if your router is working properly you shouldn't have problems but it would be indeterministic.

OK, really not sure what happened but during the Volume, Dataset, Share & Anonymous Access setup it all got very familiar with unpredictable responses and overall strange behaviour so on a hunch I decided to start from absolute scratch yet again (yes for the 4th time!) and downloaded FreeNAS again but this time it just so happened to be the current version (9.2.1.3) plus I even put it onto another brand new USB key even though the old one checked out fine.

WoW, worlds of difference! Everything now just 'works'!! Setup went exactly as per the FreeNAS guide I've now read & re-read so many times over. Unbelievable!! I can expand the FreeNAS entry from the Windows Network tree and can instantly see & access everything on it just like I could on the old ReadyNAS. The SONOS system is as happy as Larry and works flawlessly either straight after it has scanned the music library or a day or two later! I've been copying all the existing data back across for the last 48+ hours non-stop and it's still going strong. Rock solid perfection.

Problem now is that although I really want to get to the bottom of why it was such a pain before I don't want to try to replicate the problems and risk stuffing it all up because it's all working sooo perfectly well now. Take this as a lesson learnt and hopefully a warning for other new FreeNAS'ers... even though it's an overly complex setup for the average Joe who just wants to build a very basic NAS, if your setup isn't going the way the guide says it should don't discount the possibility that your FreeNAS package and/or USB memeory isn't the cause. Retry it a few times carefully following the guide each time and once you're left bald with frustration try downloading FreeNAS again and installing it onto a fresh USB device. You might be bald but you'll end up with a working NAS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.