FreeNAS upgrade / Sonos Share issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineerpeter

Dabbler
Hi, I'm hoping that someone can help me please?
I have just updated from 9.10.2U6 to 11.2 and everything went smooth; SMB shares all work fine (and NFS for Kodi access).
I went to use SONOS in the today and it it can't find the server. The existing path doesn't work so I deleted it and I can't add in a replacement path in the sonos software. I get a 900 error (https://support.sonos.com/s/article...-care&utm_content=english-cr-care-serverstack).

I can type the the server address from windows explorer (albeit not with the IP address as I had in the SONOS path). Also if I go to windows explorer then my server doesn't show up!

Has anyone come across this issue?? or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Peter

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi, I'm hoping that someone can help me please?
I have just updated from 9.10.2U6 to 11.2 and everything went smooth; SMB shares all work fine (and NFS for Kodi access).
I went to use SONOS in the today and it it can't find the server. The existing path doesn't work so I deleted it and I can't add in a replacement path in the sonos software. I get a 900 error (https://support.sonos.com/s/article...-care&utm_content=english-cr-care-serverstack).

I can type the the server address from windows explorer (albeit not with the IP address as I had in the SONOS path). Also if I go to windows explorer then my server doesn't show up!

Has anyone come across this issue?? or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Peter

Add the following auxiliary parameter under Services->SMB server min protocol = NT1

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I'm using a burner spinning drive for Sonos content. No way I'd dumb down the security to every Samba share on the NAS just to enable SONOS. Users have been asking for SMB2+ compatibility for a long time. Per the CEO, it's allegedly on the to-do list. No word on where on the list or what the expected time frame is re: resolving this issue, however. In the meantime, Sonos is pushing workarounds like using UPNP, windows HTTP, Plex, etc., none of which are palatable to me. So I use a burner drive hooked to a ABS with my Sonos content. I update it once in a while via rsync. Works great.

But I'm living on borrowed time with my Sonos system. As soon as one of my players dies, requires a system reset, or whatever, I will have to scrap my system. Why? Well, Sonos doesn't give you control over the software you get to run on your zone players. Unlike the competition, you cannot choose a firmware or download and store a version you like... you only get to download the latest and greatest.

Working hardware has been intentionally disabled by Sonos at the push of a new firmware revision (RIP, CR100 controller). So, you never really do own a Sonos, you only own the hardware. The software hides behind a walled garden and once the company decides they want you to move on to new hardware, they can use that control over the software side to force you.

Yes, there are workarounds like sending all Sonos.com DNS/TCP/UDP contact requests to a landfill, blocking ports, isolating the Sonos Zone players to a small subnet, but at some point the hardware will likely have to contact the mother-ship because the flash corrupted and the contents need to be replaced. Once that happens, all local zone players have to be updated or they won't work with each other. You also cannot add any new zone players to an isolated system (they have to register and update their firmware before they can join a group, etc).

If I cannot have a hardware controller like the CR100, I might as well switch to Bluesound and actually own the system as opposed to just owning the hardware and having Sonos dictate what I may and may not do with my system. I can't believe how much time Sonos stole from me just so I could continue to use equipment I had paid for and was using legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.