Best way to configure redundant networking (Mix of 10G and 1G

HarambeLives

Contributor
My TrueNAS box has a dual port 10G NIC, as well as the onboard dual 1G NIC's

Because I can easily max out a 10G link, I want to get both 10G Links connected, but I also want a single 1G port connected, just incase the card dies somehow

Can I setup an LACP with the 2 x 10G Links, and then configure that into a failover with the 1G as the failover port?

Assuming the switch to which your FreeNAS is connected supports LACP, you can definitely configure an LACP LAG in FreeNAS. A straight failover LAG is also a possibility. I haven't used those, so I can't say for sure. I wouldn't mix speeds though. Perhaps keep the 1G link on a different IP network as a back door connection?

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

Know that LACP will give you plain nothing as a benefit in most cases. Grouping 2 10G card with LACP does not result in an equivalent of a single 20G card. LACP will do some load balancing between the two but a single case will go over a single card. If that load balancing is based on source IP, all requests from a single source IP will go over the same 10G card, leaving the other link at plain 0. Even if you have 2 sources, you have a 50% chances for both of them to end up over the same link.

Should you need more bandwidth than what you have as of now, try to do some balancing manually. Ex: do ZFS replication over a dedicated link. Put a service on one NIC and another service on another one.

In all cases, 2x 10G is not equal to 1x 20G.

mongke

Cadet
Bump!

I have the same question.
I think perhaps the main point of the post may have been missed?

Disregarding the LACP config, if I want a 10G link to failover to a 1G link, is that possible in TrueNAS?

sretalla