Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

lagg failover - 10g and 1g ?

SMnasMAN

FreeNAS Experienced
I know you can't mix different speeds with true active LACP link agg, but the Lagg->Failover option in freenas seems a bit different than true LACP.

So can we mix 10g and 1g in a lagg failover on freenas? (would add the 10g first so its primary, 2nd 10g second, and the 1g 3rd).

Also, does freenas lagg failover mode only work based on link up/down ? (or does it use arp or pings / other to check if a link is up/down) - ie if a switch "froze up" but its the links were still showing as enabled/link up, would this cause freenas failover to NOT swap to 2nd link?

Thanks

SMnasMAN

FreeNAS Experienced
I have not. any ideas?

tks

Jessep

FreeNAS Experienced
Normally in business for redundancy at a minimum you would have 2 dual port NICs per server, going to dual switches. One port of each card going to each switch. This protects from port failure, card failure, and switch failure.

In a home lab the it's highly unlikely you are running any workloads that would require anything of that nature.

You are likely fine with a single 10Gb port as it's unlikely your pool can send more than 1GB/s.

SMnasMAN

FreeNAS Experienced
Normally in business for redundancy at a minimum you would have 2 dual port NICs per server, going to dual switches. One port of each card going to each switch. This protects from port failure, card failure, and switch failure.

In a home lab the it's highly unlikely you are running any workloads that would require anything of that nature.

You are likely fine with a single 10Gb port as it's unlikely your pool can send more than 1GB/s.
thanks for reply jessep, im actually aware of all of that, but my question still is if its possible (mix 10g and 1g in failover). I do have some NFS to vmware shares, so those are important.
forexample i know esxi says you can not mix 10g and 1g for failover (not lagg but failover), but esxi failover is different that FN.

any one tried this with FN? tks

Elliot Dierksen

FreeNAS Guru
any one tried this with FN?
I haven't tried that, but it seems like it should work. From a Cisco switch perspective, you cannot add mixed speed connections to a port channel (LAGG in FreeNAS speak). Failover doesn't require any different configuration from the perspective of the switch.

SMnasMAN

FreeNAS Experienced
i forgot to update this, but i went back and tested this recently. and while it did seem to work well when fail'd over to the 1g link (was getting full 100 MB/s + UP and down) i was having unusual speeds only on the upload side of the 10g link (ie download ~ 400 MB/s , upload ~20-30 MB/s). (was testing with SMB and NFS sync=disabled file copy operations)

Also there was no clear logic for the fail over to "prefer" the 10g link. (ie if the 10g link was current primary, and the 10g fails, it would correctly move to the 1g link with no interruption, but once the 10g link was active again, it would stay on the 1g link).

when i tested just the 10g link alone in non failover mode (ie as a control), i did not see the slow upload issue. (ie would see ~400 MB/s on both upload and download)