Best storage solution for a variety of use cases

tibblist

Dabbler
So I think I will probably end up needing a somewhat kitchen sink setup with a raidz2 hdd pool, mirrored hdd/(ssd?) pool, and a striped ssd pool. My setup also has 64gb RAM since this is relevant to what it can cache in RAM. I am also unsure as to whether or not my setup would benefit from a sizeable (256-512gb) nvme ssd l2arc cache and/or a high performance write drive slog (Intel DC S3700).
So I plan to first use a pool with 1 raidz2 vdev of 6x Toshiba 3TB MG03SCA300 for archival storage of media (family photos/videos and maybe plex media). Then create a pool with a single mirrored vdev of 2 8tb disks (one shucked from a WD mybook and 1 undecided right now) to use for shared smb storage of games to both be played from for games with low disk usage and to be copied from for more performance intensive games. I will also need an as fast as possible write speeds with no need for redundancy to run a rust server so map save times are as fast as possible but it is a game that wipes data every week so if a drive fails I will just put the server on maintenance and start it back up with a fresh wipe (might need/want to store some config data that would be rarely accessed and quite small somewhere else on the drive for starting back up fast if a drive fails). I'm not sure if the SLOG would meaningfully speed up writes to any of these pools or if the l2ARC cache would meaningfully speed up reads at all.

Edit: Also probably relevant after reading more about sync writes, the rust server will likely be run inside a jail on freebsd (if i can't get that to work then in a bhyve vm) so I assume sync writes won't be a problem here.

Last edited: