Best policy for updating plugins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tophee

Explorer
Hi,

I'm running FreeNAS-9.2.1.5-RELEASE-x64 and I have six jails working and doing what I expect them All installed from the GUI.

I see from the GUI there are some updates available to for SAB, SB & CP which I would like to install.

Looking at the Wiki there apparently is a button on the installed plugin page to upgrade the plugins, but this does not appear to exist on my Freenas box.

What is the best / least destructive way of going about upgrading the plugins?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
which versions of those plugins are you on?
v1.0 / 0.7.14 are architechted differently than any of the newer versions and upgrading isn't possible. the latest version support in program updating.

you could backup/restore your program's data directories if you don't want to set everything up again.

marcevan

Patron
The upgrade button on the installed plugins (I'm mid upgrade of Plex now) has some code which I'll ask to change. If mounted storage is unmounted before the uprgade the upgrade fails. There's no "if" checking for unmounts so it just blindly sbin/umount -f to every storage.

However, like many, I'm stuck at 50% for the last 35 minutes, and getting impatient.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Upgrading Plex always takes a very long time. It can range from a few hours to a few days depending on the size of your Plex setup. Some people have said it takes 2-3 days for extremely large configurations, but it does finish as long as you just let it run. ;)

The reason is that Plex stores its data in a massive directory(ies) of files. It's not uncommon for there to be more than a million files to move around and that is very time consuming. This is why I don't recommend the Plex PBI. ;)

tophee

Explorer
Thanks for the replies guys. Been busy for the last few days but now having a chance to catch up what has been said...

Hi Joshua,
I currently running SAB is on 0.7.14, SB is on 1.1, CP is on 1.1.
As I am not seeing the upgrade button options, I am assuming this is due to the architectural changes? Backing up the programs data directories? You mean in the jails? Right?

Cheers

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the replies guys. Been busy for the last few days but now having a chance to catch up what has been said...

Hi Joshua,
I currently running SAB is on 0.7.14, SB is on 1.1, CP is on 1.1.
As I am not seeing the upgrade button options, I am assuming this is due to the architectural changes? Backing up the programs data directories? You mean in the jails? Right?

Cheers
yes, those directories are in your jail. Likely in under /usr/pbi/program-amd64/
I would personally just re-set everything up, but I know how to setup those 3 programs really quick.

tophee

Explorer
Think I'll uninstall and setup again. I've not done it for a while and im sure I can remember how...

Status
Not open for further replies.