Best performance setup with this hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeelzebubUK

Dabbler
I've been running FreeNAS for several weeks and not happy with the performance running 6x 1TB drives in a RAIDZ1 array with CIFS share. In fact last week the NAS seemed to grind to a halt when writing files which seemed to be caused by lack of memory (free memory showing as approx. 200MB). So I was hoping for some advice on what would be the best configuration for my requirements as I've now added an Intel dual NIC and P410 raid array card to the setup.

I want to squeeze as much read/write performance as I can and I'm happy to sacrifice 50% of my drive space to do it. I want to be able to suffer the loss of 1 drive without breaking the array (or multiple arrays). Any important data will be backed up to another external device so don't need any further fault tolerance. The NAS will primarily be used for data storage (videos, FLAC, MP3, general downloads) and will be accessed by my main PC and laptop both running Windows 7 Professional and a Popcorn Hour A200 media player (which can read CIFS or NFS shares). Possibly in the future I'll run apps such as SABnzbd for usenet downloads and Logitech Squeezebox server for music streaming.

The spec I have is as follows :

HP N40L
8GB (2x4) non-ECC RAM
6x 1TB Samsung F3 drives
HP P410 Smart Array controller with 256MB cache
Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port NIC card
HP Procurve 1810G-8 switch

I'm not sure if it would be better to create an array on the P410 or use ZFS within FreeNAS.

I have room to add an extra SSD drive if required for caching etc

The Procurve switch supports LACP (although as most access will be from 1 source at a time its not going to make much of a difference)

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.