Best Media Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

antmar904

Cadet
hi all,

i am very new to freenas, i installed the latest version and it is up and running.

i wanted to get some insight on the best media server to use (plex,mini dlna, etc).

i would like something fast and easy to setup.

thank you

dricetech

Cadet
I haven't even begun to use Freenas yet, but I plan on doing so very soon. I have done a lot of research, I use plex as my daily driver on my windows machine and I've never been let down. I have used it on linux as well and the configuration files are very similar. I also have a few roku boxes, and all android devices which completes my bias. I have heard good things about XBMC, I've just never needed anything other than Plex. It runs it's own mini-dlna from inside the server, and worked fine on my really slow LG 3d TV, and pretty much every device I've thrown at it (I don't play with iphones) ; however, I prefer the look and feel that a roku box provides along with a remote. It seems to be one of Plex's best friends.

raidflex

Guru
I like Plex for accessing my content remotely and on tablets/phones, but for in home use on my media center PCs I prefer the XBMC interface.

DLNA would be best if you have devices like TVs that you want to stream content to directly. It really comes down to the devices that you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.