Best Cloud Software

DoThat

Cadet
Hello Guys,

I'm new to NAS-Systems and linux-based os so i hope you can help me :)

unfortunatly i have bought the wrong case and now i can only plug in 3 hdds (3x 2tb) and i want to setup a cloud system so i can sync all my phones and the phones of my family. those 3 hdds should use a raid for best space-usage. i thought i can partitionate the drives so i can use like 500gb for jails and configs etc and use the rest of the free space for the cloud in a raid. but it seems like i have no chance to do it like that...

is there any possibility to get this done? my idea is to use an usb for the jail-memory. but i dont know how big the jail for a cloud will get. sadly i cant find any ressource what jails are and how they get used, which type of datas do they save etc. with google i just found sites which show how to install freenas and want you to buy something so they get affiliate money....

sry for my bad english, i hope you can help me.
regards,
Dimi

danb35

Hall of Famer
Jails go on the storage pool--why would you want them elsewhere? As to what they are, they're OS-level containers (kinda sorta like Docker containers) into which you can install software--the software installed in them, and the data stored in them, are entirely up to you.

DoThat

Cadet
Jails go on the storage pool--why would you want them elsewhere? As to what they are, they're OS-level containers (kinda sorta like Docker containers) into which you can install software--the software installed in them, and the data stored in them, are entirely up to you.

okay thanks for your reply. i wanted to install syncthing for testing purposes and he told me i cant install it on the same storage as my jail is.

i just created a RaidZ storage with all 3 disks, then i created a dataset for the jail but i could just pick the storage and not the datapool...

after 2 hours off reinstall the disks and trying some other things i have seen that syncthing in standby used about 30% from my phonebattery so i wanted to switch cloud software but couldnt find a real advice which software is good for personal useage.

Somebody know which software is good for this case:
i want to create a single users for every member of my family (like mom gets the user mom, dad -> dad etc), they all shall get their own folder(storage) where they can put files in and if they want they should can pick other users which can access to their files.

any ideas?

regards