Beginner's build, need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Could you recommend a new hba card for the system? I'd prefer to stick with that one because it has more than 6 drive bays.

Yeah, I'll have to have a good read on all this.
Read the hardware guide and stop being lazy.

Jatrabari

Contributor
@andee I have been learning, reading and studying FreeNAS and my build for about half a year now in total. I have research my needs carefully and then compiled a list for components and gotten great feedback from this forum. There is no shortcut to building a NAS. You will have to do it the long way around as everybody else before you. Also as a beginner you will have no hope maintaining your NAS after you have built it if you haven't learned anything about FreeNAS before...

A

andee

Read the hardware guide and stop being lazy.

It's not being lazy when I don't understand...

@andee I have been learning, reading and studying FreeNAS and my build for about half a year now in total. I have research my needs carefully and then compiled a list for components and gotten great feedback from this forum. There is no shortcut to building a NAS. You will have to do it the long way around as everybody else before you. Also as a beginner you will have no hope maintaining your NAS after you have built it if you haven't learned anything about FreeNAS before...

I appreciate your response. Building a NAS is simply out of my league after opening this thread.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Building a NAS is simply out of my league
If you literally can't understand anything in the hardware recommendations guide, I'm afraid I'd have to agree with you.

Arwen

MVP
It's not being lazy when I don't understand...
I appreciate your response. Building a NAS is simply out of my league after opening this thread.
As best as I can tell, FreeNAS is the top end for data security in the NAS open source software market. If a new person has trouble understanding the concepts, (like ZFS), then we discourage them from using FreeNAS. We don't want you to lose data through mis-understanding or lack of experienace.

Buying a pre-made device from a Synology or Netgear maybe the way to go. Perhaps a similar one to a friend, so that they can help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Hold on a minute. We have the FreeNAS Mini and Mini XL, which are a lot easier than building a system from scratch, and can be ordered from Amazon.

danb35

Hall of Famer
We have the FreeNAS Mini and Mini XL, which are a lot easier than building a system from scratch
True. But if OP's response to the hardware recommendations guide is "I don't understand it, spoon feed it to me", what do you think the odds are that he'll read and understand the manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.