Before I begin (socket1700)

Na5_u53r

Cadet
Hi folks,

I tried this forum to look for discussions on the z690-p and integrated components, so far I couldn't find about compatibility on the e-cores,

The wifi module internally would be handy to use, and can a intel arc a770 work and be low voltaged to reduce the power usage ?

The thunderbolt connection could be handy,

Greetings

Arwen

MVP
First off, this is a server. WiFi, Graphics and Thunderbolt are not useful.

Other home servers may use and take advantage of such I/O. But, TrueNAS does not normally use such desktop I/O. The slight exception would be a graphics card for Plex transcoding. Yet the Intel ARC A770 is so new, Plex transcoding might not be supported.

TrueNAS was designed as Enterprise Data Center software. The vendor iXsystems sells hardware with TrueNAS for those Enterprise users. However, they allow us, home and small business users, to use the software for free, (but without paid support). Sort of as their Beta testers.

So, TrueNAS has a more limited set of hardware that is well supported, than other free NAS software. Further, TrueNAS is not a OS distribution with NAS focus, it is more appliance NAS software, that uses FreeBSD & Linux as the OS.

Last, TrueNAS only uses ZFS for data storage. ZFS was designed for Enterprise customers too, from the old Sun Microsystems, (now owned by Oracle). ZFS is radically different than other file systems, logical volume managers and RAID schemes. There are similarities but ZFS management is just different.

We have a lot of Resources, (see top of forum for the Resource link), and sticky forum threads at the beginning of forum sub-pages. I don't have a list of what a new user should read... perhaps someone else can step in with that information.

dak180

Patron
We have a lot of Resources, (see top of forum for the Resource link), and sticky forum threads at the beginning of forum sub-pages. I don't have a list of what a new user should read... perhaps someone else can step in with that information.
Resources List including Detailed Hardware and System Build Notes (plus new user advice / help) is a good start and there are some useful links in my sig too.
I tried this forum to look for discussions on the z690-p and integrated components, so far I couldn't find about compatibility on the e-cores
As for the e cores that is going to depend on support for the underling os (bsd for core and debian for scale), my guess is not well supported yet.

On the z690 I would recommend against it as it does not appear to support ecc ram (if you care about your data you want this, heck I wish I could get ecc ram for everything: 180+ days uptime FTW); instead if you want to do something with the LGA 1700 socket I would recommend something using a W680 chipset like the W680D4U-2L2T which looks to be a decent choice for a TrueNAS system.

Na5_u53r

Cadet
Nice to hear, allthough a bit disappointing this platform seems not suitable as media station ? Maybe in a VM form ?

dak180

Patron

Davvo

MVP
Nice to hear, allthough a bit disappointing this platform seems not suitable as media station ?
It is perfectly fine, proven you understand and respect what you can and what you can't do and can put time and effort to learn something new.
WiFi, as well as Realtek NICs and hardware RAID, simply doesn't work.

I suggest you opening a proper thread in the right section (either CORE or SCALE, inform yourself about which looks best suited for your use) explaining what would your case of use be.

Generally, you don't need new consumer hardware for TN.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
a bit disappointing this platform seems not suitable as media station
I don't know what you mean by "media station." TrueNAS works very well as a media server, using Plex (which is where most of my experience is), Emby, or Jellyfin--possibly other software as well. Under CORE, you can run any of those in a jail (do not under any circumstances use the plugins), and they work well; under SCALE, all are available as apps which also work well. It may be overkill if a media server is all you want, but it nonetheless works quite well as one.

What TrueNAS does not do well (again, whether CORE or SCALE) is work on whatever 20-year-old castoff hardware (or any other random hardware) you might have laying around. Its hardware requirements are significant, and the path to a reliable, performant system is fairly narrow. It's well-documented, but still narrow. Gaming motherboards are not on that path, nor really are desktop motherboards. Workstation motherboards will often have the key features, but usually add a lot of stuff that won't benefit you. Server motherboards are where you want to be, or just buy a pre-built server--used gear is widely available and cheap, at least in .us.