Backup to 2nd Volume Tradeoff

markgca

Dabbler
in the process of migrating to FreeNAS from three ReadyNAS boxes and a QNAP box.

two have data, two are backup. we also back up to the cloud.

i have been using rsync to backup data from the two data nas's to the backup nas's and the cloud, and it has worked fine.
but when i started looking at the FreeNAS features, i found replication, and further review shows i can replicate to another pool in the same FreeNAS box.

i know this isnt the best method of backup, since if the box dies i cant get my data out until its fixed (or i get a new box, since zfs pools seem to be fairly portable). But it is a backup.

Are there any other issues/tradeoffs with doing this? it would save me thousands on a spare box (dont need the storage space or cpu horsepower), and based upon what i have read the data would be just as secure; just a day or so delay waiting on parts to fix the broken hardware before i can access the backup. And i could always use the cloud backup or one of the other backups for the days while im waiting.

in the past i used separate nas boxes because the cpu's couldnt handle more than a few tasks (except the QNAP which has an E3-1246v3 cpu), but this new FreeNAS has dual intel E5-2620's so it should be able to handle most anything.

i guess the one thing i am concerned with is any internal data paths that might become saturated, but it doesnt seem that much different from sending it to another box, so not sure that is really a concern.

thoughts?

one other thing; when the time comes to get that 2nd FreeNAS box, i assume it would be easy to move the 2nd pool over to that box and continue the replication (after changing the hostname)? I cant imagine there is anything different about replicating pools elsewhere, but just in case im missing something... That would allow me to expand the main pool with a 2nd vdev AND remote pool by 2x when needed (probably never, but then again, we always do find a way to fill everything...)

mark

D

dlavigne

Did you finish your migration? What did you end up using to migrate?

markgca

Dabbler
Did you finish your migration?

Sorta; i copied the data over to the FreeNAS and am testing it now, havent gone live on it yet due to a few replication issues. and im trying some vms out in the meantime as well, but thats going slow

What did you end up using to migrate?

i just copied it over, dataset by dataset, over a few days using a desktop computer. again it is in testing phase, and i frankly didnt mind doing it this way as it tested everything the way we will be connecting to it. will probably use rsync when we decide to go live

the main issue now is that the replication of a single dataset to another pool isnt working right. not sure it makes sense to spend any time on it, might just update to RC1 which seems to have improved the replication task manager, but who knows. but im still trying to decide what to do for one of the backups; i would like to use a separate pool in the same box, but not sure how good that technique is. i think the only problem is the hba card scribbling on drives, because if it went rogue it would mess up both pools of drives. dont know if thats a real world problem however, but i just dont see any other possible way the 2nd pool could get destroyed (but im learning..)

Last edited: