Backup server Off most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian351c

Patron
I'm hoping one our ZFS experts can answer a question to help determine my backup strategy going forward.

TL;DR: How does FreeNAS "catch up" with replication when the destination its offline most of the time?

Long version: I have two FreeNAS servers: a primary and a backup. I don't want to leave the backup server running 24x7, so I turn it on about once a month and use rsync and manual snapshotting to do backups. As FN10 gets closer to completion, I'm revisiting my backup strategy to possibly do something more automated. I would still like to turn on my backup server about once a month. Also, the backup server has about 2/3 the storage space as my my primary (which isn't a problem now, but should be considered when contemplating my backup strategy). Right now, I am snapshotting my primary NAS thusly: 2 Hour snapshots, kept for two weeks and weekly snapshots kept for two years. If I want to use ZFS replication for my backup, how does the scheduling of the snapshot task affect backups? There are bound to be times where snapshots come and go without being backed up (which is fine, in theory). Or I might even forget to turn the backup server on for a few months, in which case there may be a few replication tasks that are "missed". How does FreeNAS handle these situations?

Thanks.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
How does FreeNAS "catch up" with replication when the destination its offline most of the time?
All intermediate snapshots are replicated over. Nothing special.

However, FreeNAS' logic is rather... chatty, when it comes to missed replications. Hundreds of emails are not uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.