Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

DocPMD

Dabbler
Another vote here for the free version of Veeam - been using it for 4-5 years without issue - hated the Windows Backup and Restore.
OK, just watched a video on Veeam and realized I am being too loose with my terminology. I really want a file sync, not a backup. Reason being is that I back up my TrueNAS server to Backblaze. So if I create a new Veeam backup file weekly, for example, that whole file will be backed up to Backblaze. That will eat up all of my bandwidth.

If I do a file sync, then only the changes will upload to the cloud.

Maybe there is a simpler way, but that's the way I have it set up now.

Sorry, don't know what you mean.
It's a command you run directly on the server (via the Shell or preferably over SSH).

But it you're going to use Veeam, it's probably better to focus on that route instead.

Windows' built-in backup tools have always been wonky.

So if I create a new Veeam backup file weekly, for example, that whole file will be backed up to Backblaze.
What "whole file"?

I've never used Veeam myself, but I'd imagine it has a "file-based" backup and sync option? (Instead of backing up to a single/compressed archive file).

DocPMD

Dabbler
What "whole file"?

I've never used Veeam myself, but I'd imagine it has a "file-based" backup and sync option? (Instead of backing up to a single/compressed archive file).
I've got to look into it further. What I've seen so far is the creation of as ISO file as a backup, which would be new for every backup, obviously.

There may be a file sync option, but I have to look into it further.

What I've seen so far is the creation of as ISO file as a backup, which would be new for every backup, obviously.
Goodness. I'm reading the same thing when trying to find information for it online. Same with review and tutorial videos on YouTube. (You can select files and folders in the Backup Mode, yet it still combines them into a single archive file on the backup location.)

Anyone here who uses the free edition of Veeam: Does it have the option to save backups as files/folders, in the same way that Robocopy and other traditional backup software do?

DocPMD

Dabbler
Goodness. I'm reading the same thing when trying to find information for it online. Same with review and tutorial videos on YouTube. (You can select files and folders in the Backup Mode, yet it still combines them into a single archive file on the backup location.)

Anyone here who uses the free edition of Veeam: Does it have the option to save backups as files/folders, in the same way that Robocopy and other traditional backup software do?
I'm reading the User Guide now and it actually does incremental backups. So the trick is going to be how often the full backup is replaced.

@DocPMD there might be a mixup.

What did you download? The Free Community Backup and Restore offering? Or the "Windows Agent" offering?

It looks like the latter is the one you want: folder and file backups, without any "container"

DocPMD

Dabbler
@DocPMD there might be a mixup.

What did you download? The Free Community Backup and Restore offering? Or the "Windows Agent" offering?

It looks like the latter is the one you want: folder and file backups, without any "container"
I haven't downloaded anything yet, but I'm reading the online User Guide for the Windows Agent

I haven't downloaded anything yet, but I'm reading the online User Guide for the Windows Agent
Make sure you get that one.

The "Free Community Backup and Restore" only allows for creating containers (i.e, "archives") that you cannot access with a file manager.

DocPMD

Dabbler
Make sure you get that one.

The "Free Community Backup and Restore" only allows for creating containers (i.e, "archives") that you cannot access with a file manager.
LOL - Veeam can't access the share either!

Have no idea what is going on here. I'm just a hobbyist, not an IT guy. But I can easily access the share in File Explorer, but neither Veeam nor Windows Backup can access the share.

On the server itself (over SSH or in the "Shell"), can you post the formatted output of:
Code:
getfacl "/mnt/main"
getfacl "/mnt/main/pc_backup"
getfacl "/mnt/main/pc_backup/Data Drive"

Redcoat

MVP
So the trick is going to be how often the full backup is replaced.
I have mine (EDIT: Veeam Agent for Windows) set up to make a full backup to TrueNAS on the first Monday of every month with an incremental each day thereafter, and to have the ability always to be able to restore at least the past 63 days for disaster recovery.

Today, each backup contains a full on 12/05, 1/02 and 2/06 (with incremental each day in between) and incrementals from 2/07 to 3/03 inclusive. The data thus actually covers 88 days. Next Monday (03/06) I expect that the 12/05 - 1/01 data will be deleted and the full backup data set will begin the process again with fulls on 1/02, 2/05 and 3/06, incrementals in between. Therafter incrementals will add daily through 04/02.

Last edited:

DocPMD

Dabbler
On the server itself (over SSH or in the "Shell"), can you post the formatted output of:
Code:
getfacl "/mnt/main"
getfacl "/mnt/main/pc_backup"
getfacl "/mnt/main/pc_backup/Data Drive"
Here it is, looks like the problem may be with the Share ACL because it is set to everyone with Full permissions, yet this shows no permissions for the pc_backup dataset.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-03 144118.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-03 144118.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 76

DocPMD

Dabbler
And there is no data in that dataset right now. So I could easily delete the Share, delete dataset, and just start over with a clean slate for permissions (ACL's)

Here it is, looks like the problem may be with the Share ACL
The Share ACL is different from the filesystem/folder ACL.

By all accounts, everything looks fine. :confused:

DocPMD

Dabbler
The Share ACL is different from the filesystem/folder ACL.

By all accounts, everything looks fine. :confused:
Yah, I understand there is a difference between the Filesystem ACL and the Share ACL, although I don't understand it. No need to explain. I just want to fix the problem.

How did you configure the share?

Maybe Windows/VSS-based backup tools need a particular parameter over SMB? Maybe "Enable Shadow Copies"? I'm running out of ideas here.

DocPMD

Dabbler
How did you configure the share?

Maybe Windows/VSS-based backup tools need a particular parameter over SMB? Maybe "Enable Shadow Copies"? I'm running out of ideas here.
I didn't change any of the default settings. A little while ago I tried enabling SMB1 support, but that didn't work, either.

I didn't change any of the default settings.
Understood, but what are the settings* out of curiosity? (I'd keep SMB1 support disabled.)

EDIT: *For the share itself, not the SMB Service.

DocPMD

Dabbler
Understood, but what are the settings* out of curiosity? (I'd keep SMB1 support disabled.)

EDIT: *For the share itself, not the SMB Service.
II attached the config for the share.

I also tried connecting to one of the other shares that I have set up and it didn't work, either.

So something in the default configuration is screwing things up.

Only thing I changed in SMB was to enable the support for Apple devices. I need that because all of the other devices in the house are Apple machines.

Attachments

• 1677881315557.png
    1677881315557.png
    286.8 KB · Views: 71