user unable to login to start backup

gordon webb

Cadet
I am a new FreeNAS Core user. I have yesterday successfully installed this software on my old windows motherbaord PC and can access it as the root user from another windows 11 PC connected to the same LAN. However I want to use the FreeNAS machine to hold a backup from my Netgear NAS on the same lan and I can't get my Netgear NAS to connect to the FreeNAS machine. It comes up with an error message "unable to connect to remote folder, invalid network name or permission denied". I have tried connecting as the root user and also as a user account i have set up - neither work. the data i have entered into the Netgear NAS is host- local IP address 192.168.1.21 (this definately correctas it works on a different machine) , Path - /mnt/backup/dan (copied from the path of the home directory shown for that user on my TrueNAS) - login - the username from the user account on the Truenas, and password - the password for that user. The account shown on the truenas has the following settings

GID:​

Home directory:​

/mnt/backup/dan

Shell:​

/bin/sh

Email:​

N/A

Password Disabled:​

false

Lock User:​

false

Permit Sudo:​

false

Microsoft Account:​

false

Samba Authentication:​

true
Can someone help me gat the Netgear NAS to logon to the Truenas?
Thank you
Gordon Webb

gordon webb

Cadet
I have now managed to login.
In case other people have this problem, success followed the following
name - remote: windows/NAS(timestamp)
host - ip address
path - backup/dan ( it is necessary to omit the /mtn/ shown in the account on the home directory of thetrurnas shown above
login and password - as setup
I hope this helps someone else setup a backup from an Netgear NAS to a TrueNAS machine
Kind regards
Gordon Webb