Autotune borked my server. Help?

mdreed

Dabbler
In the course of debugging something which later turned out to be a bad ethernet cable, I enabled autotune on my FreeNAS server. The next time I rebooted it, the server was completely nonfunctional. The console spammed mDNSResponder errors (EVERY TWO SECONDS: helpful) and was generally unresponsive. My understanding is that autotune set sysctl variables that killed my NIC.

I eventually was able to boot it in single-user mode and recover the freenas-v1.db file as well as one from created when I upgraded from 11.1U7 to 11.2 a month ago. (In single-user mode, the NIC worked fine.) Following this link I was able to compare the two .db files and removed all the tuneables set by autotune as well as the flag turning autotune on. However, replacing this .db file did not solve the mDNSResponder problem (nor really help in any noticeable way.).

Last night, I installed a fresh copy of 11.2U2 on a new SSD. I was able to import my pool and see the more recent plugins (e.g. the ones that use iocages, not jails). But all my plugins controlled by the old user interface were not seen.

I tried loading up my "repaired" .db file to this fresh install, but the mDNS errors came back exactly as before. I also tried loading the .db file from a month ago which did not recover my legacy jails. (Do I need to do this to an install of 11.1U7, load this .db file, and only then upgrade?)

Does anyone have any ideas about how to dig myself out of this mess? I've heard tell of some secret place that .db files are backed up (something about a fourth partition on the boot disk, which I cannot find). Is this true? Happily, I also just realized that the periodic snapshots of my tank were not actually saving anything but the *names* of the root directories... so I'll need to fix that too, once I'm back on my feet.

Alternatively, is there some path for installing a fresh copy of FreeNAS that will recover my legacy plugins as well as my newer ones? I've spent so much time on this, knowing of any path that would work would be greatly appreciated, even if it is circuitous.

Thanks!

danb35

Hall of Famer
I've heard tell of some secret place that .db files are backed up (something about a fourth partition on the boot disk, which I cannot find).
That information is over five years old. Since the release of FreeNAS 9.3, the OS has lived on a live ZFS pool rather than the fixed UFS partitions previously in use. The config backup is now stored on the .system dataset. If that's on your storage pool (as it ordinarily would be), you should find them in /var/db/system/.

mdreed

Dabbler
Ah, that makes sense. I did find two config_{hex} folders in /var/db/system, but they were both completely empty. Did I overwrite them by making a fresh install?