Does AutoTune adjust the values when hardware/network changes

Koen_Oostende

Dabbler
A year ago I installed my FreeNAS server. After everything was setup, I turned on Autotune. The server is functioning as it should, but over time some things changed. Initially the pool was 8 drives, now it consists of 15 drives. The server is connected to a new (faster) switch. In short. Do I have to remove all AutoTune tuneables and start over, or do I just turn on AutoTune and the values that have to be changed will change?

fracai

Guru
Also note that autotune is generally not recommended for most systems. Unless things have changed since I last looked at this, autotune was intended for systems with huge amounts of CPU and RAM and most consumer systems could see detrimental changes instead of improvements.

Has anything changed here?

D

dlavigne

Nope, still not recommended and the entry in the Guide says it should be a temporary measure.

Koen_Oostende

Dabbler
I don't want a discussion against/for AutoTune. I just need a clear answer. If AutoTune is turned on and the system is cold booted... Will it change previously saved tunables or does the system see the tunable in place and never check for better options?

D

dlavigne

As mentioned above, the script is rerun at every boot (as indicated in that section of the Guide). :smile:

Koen_Oostende

Dabbler
(as indicated in that section of the Guide)
Note that DELETING tunables that were created by autotune only affects the current session, as autotune-set tunables are recreated at boot.