automating FreeNAS config using ansible/puppet/chef

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

is anyone using a configuration tool to manage freenas servers?

for now, i'd like to centrally manage the exported things, etc. is this (more-or-less) easily possible using the ssh command line?

thank you for your help.

jag3773

Cadet
I would love this same ability. Here are some thoughts I have on implementing it:
1) Possibly create a FreeNAS Plugin that installs Puppet and allows the user to specify the puppet server via the GUI, or
2) Just make the root filesystem writable and install puppet manually, configure manually and then change / back to read only.

I think option 1 would be ideal, but I haven't looked into the plugin architecture enough to know if that would work acceptably.

but then you are forced to use puppet. what i am really asking is, whether there are some command line tools to configure freenas. if so configuration management tool plugins will be easy to write.

a puppet running on freenas should be an easy thing then.

jag3773

Cadet
For ZFS related operations, you can use all the normal ZFS commands that you would on the CLI and FreeNAS will recognize most of your changes. I'm not sure if there is an easy CLI way to manage other aspects of the config, like creating an SMB/CIFS share sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.