Authorized access to NFS share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slonick81

Cadet
I'm setting up FreeNAS storage for small video post-production studio. They're using mixed environment with both OS X and Win workstations for different projects.

I've set up Samba share to access with dedicated user "Administrator" with some password for win stations. Now I need to set up access to the same share via NFS with same Administrator user under OS X. There is a very limited description of NFS share in part 10.2 of FreeNAS docs. Share's permissions are already set to Administrator, so I simply created NFS share, selected "maproot" field to Administrator. Tried to mount it with nfs://<ip>/share - it's visible but RO. Tried to mount with nfs://Administrator:pass@<ip>/share - still read obly.

Please, any suggestions what to do or what to read on subj?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You shouldn't share the same data over 2 different protocols.

You can just use smb from the Mac like you did with Windows. This is probably the better solution anyways.

If you want more information on nfs read any of the Linux or bsd docs on nfs it's all the same.

slonick81

Cadet
You shouldn't share the same data over 2 different protocols.
Why? I read some general statemrnts about permissions mess, but it's going to be one and same user to access the share under both SMB and NFS.

You can just use smb from the Mac like you did with Windows. This is probably the better solution anyways.
Aside of overall inconsistent performance of smb shares on OS X there is one vital factor - it's impossible to mount smb share subfolder as root tree on OS X (at least no definite how-to-s), so it's impossible to share folder-stored Avid MC projects.

Well, yeah, I guess no easy way to go...

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Search for why not to share same dataset it has nothing to do with permissions. Provisions will actually with just fine. Here is a post I made recently that kind of covers the topic

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/dataset-share-type-purpose.34809/#post-208741

Performance seems pretty consistent for me? What evidence do you have to prove otherwise?

If you want to mount a subfolder you need to create a share for that folder just like you would do in windows, I fail to see your point about mounting different folders.

And reading documentation is how you do things. Docs are the original how-tos but people refuse to learn anything and want to be spoon fed so they don't get used like they should.

slonick81

Cadet
Thank you for a nice explanation. Quite strange and unintuitive that IO blocking isn't implemented on file system level but on share protocol level. Does it mean that some other processes like backuping with rsync can interfere with data consistency on shares?

In general that's dangerous situation, but in our case it's not so troublesome, because Avid MC doesn't have built-in blocking mechanism even with one sharing protocol. Anyway I need to think over it.

Performance seems pretty consistent for me?
Extremely long AAF import time in Resolve, for example. Same station, same project, same share but win boot gives much faster import (seen case when it was up to seconds vs. minutes). Avid MC periodically looses media files and starts media rescan (quite long in case of 20+ series project). In general this lags, that hangs. And main advice from people in industry - use NFS share for media access on OS X.

If you want to mount a subfolder you need to create a share for that folder just like you would do in windows, I fail to see your point about mounting different folders.
Nope, you don't need to create specific share for subfolder to mount it's structure as root for network drive on win. You can create one shared folder on server and then mount any of it's sub-sub folders as network drive. What for? Due to some ...eh, let's call it "specific" way of how Avid MC manages and stores media files.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.