Attempted to move / expand FreeNAS setup, disks not showing up for import

Status
Not open for further replies.

the4ndy

Dabbler
So i have FreeNAS 9.10.2 installed and running on a Dell tower server with I believe a Perc 5i RAID card (no SAS backplane) with 3x 2TB HDDs. I have outgrown this hardware and acquired a Dell PowerEdge 2950 6-BAY. My plan is/was to install FreeNAS onto a USB stick plugged into the back of the server (DONE). it installed fine from what i can tell. I can access the web interface, confirmed its up to date, etc. Then I planned/plan to install the 3x 2TB drives from the previous FreeNAS setup, import the zpool or array or whatever its called technically (The pool was ZFS RAIDZ1). After I had imported the 3 drive array/pool I have 2 more 2TB drives that I was planning to add to that existing pool (assuming that is possible, i believe that it is).

Here is where the problem comes in. I cannot see any of the disks in the web interface. If I go to Storage > View Disks, there are no devices listed. If i open a shell and run "camcontrol devlist" i can see all of the 2TB hard drives as well as the CD rom drive and the USB that the OS is installed on.

Unfortunately I am a FreeNAS / FreeBSD noob and am not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

the4ndy

Dabbler
Did you import the pool yet using the instructions in http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/storage.html#import-volume?

I did indeed. There are no "volumes" in the drop down on the Second step of "Import Volume".

I tried running "zpool import" and it immediately goes back to the shell prompt
i ran "camcontrol devlist" and i can see all 5 of my disks (the 3 i want to import and then the 2 blank ones i want to add after the old pool is imported)
i can also see the SAS controller as an item in that output, and its at /dev/ses0 but the disks are not listed on any /dev/ location

Code:
<ATA TOSHIBA DT01ACA2 ABB0>		at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0)			 
<ATA ST2000DL003-9VT1 CC32>		at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass1)			 
<ATA Hitachi HDS72302 AAB0>		at scbus0 target 2 lun 0 (pass2)			 
<ATA Hitachi HUA72202 A20N>		at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass3)			 
<ATA Hitachi HUA72202 A20N>		at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass4)			 
<DP BACKPLANE 1.05>				at scbus0 target 32 lun 0 (pass5,ses0)	   
<TSSTcorp DVD-ROM TS-L333A D250>   at scbus2 target 0 lun 0 (pass6,cd0)		 
<SanDisk Cruzer Blade 1.27>		at scbus4 target 0 lun 0 (pass7,da0)

The drives at pass2, 3, and 4 are the drives with the zfs pool to be imported, pass0 and 1 are new blank 2TB drives, pass5 is the backplane, pass6 the optical drive, and pass7 the USB drive that the OS is installed on.

the4ndy

Dabbler
I should mention that the RAID card in the new server is a Perc 6i and seems to not support JBOD or AHCI mode. I have also tried using an HP P400 and P410 i had lying around, both of those caused the Dell BIOS and such to hang / freeze (I suspect the non-dell hardware is not appreciated by the server). I am looking to get my hands on a Perc 6/iR that I am told has JBOD and can be used successfully with FreeNAS. If there is anyone that has anything else for me to try, that would be awesome, I would love to get this working with my current gear and not have to wait for the new Perc 6/iR to show up

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It's most likely your raid card causing problems. You shouldn't really use raid card because they hide the disks from FreeNAS. A card that can do jbod will probably get you going but really you need a hba card.

You could also put the disks in the old server and make sure they still work.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

the4ndy

Dabbler
Disks def still work, I will likely through them back into the old server just in the meantime and will confirm they still work there, but I am very confident that the drives are ok as they were pulled from a working unit. As I mentioned, I have a Per 6/iR on the way which is supposed to support JBOD, but being that the PowerEdge 2950 is a 2U rackmount chasis, my options for "custom" or 3rd party HBA cards is limited. I dont know that I would be able to fit a different backplane in the case if it were needed. I also have the HP P400 and P410 that I tried but both of those cause issues when trying to set them up (basically i enter the RAID config util from the boot screen and it will hang when trying to read disks, etc). For these reasons I feel the best bet is to use a piece of hardware that is specific / made for the Dell PowerEdge server. I saw elsewhere on these forums that a user recommended the IBM M1015 card as the best option, but they mentioned that the Backplane and the card arent the same type so a special cable is needed and then i also have the issue of cable routing inside the case (which there are some, but they seem to be too short or too long for the cables and such I have for my other RAID cards).

I guess in short, I am trying to figure out the best way to use my nice 6 bay Poweredge 2950 as my storage server. It has 8 CPU cores acress 2 CPUs, and 16GB of RAM so it should handle FreeNAS with a 6x 2TB ZFS pool nicely (the ultimate goal..first is importing the old pool, then add on to it).

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Dell Perc SAS 6/iR can be flashed to IT mode, which is what you should do if you plan to use it with FreeNAS. This won't stop it from being obsolete (2TB drive limit).
SAS3081ER.png

Status
Not open for further replies.