Attach/Replace Boot Error

So. I have 1 Terrbyte selected of a Boot manager and i have tried to attach and replace boot device. (With a 32GB USB Stick, i tried others with 16GB but it happens the same)

It shows me this error

Error: [EFAULT] concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback: """ Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 220, in extend i['target'].attach(newvdev) File "libzfs.pyx", line 392, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__ File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 220, in extend i['target'].attach(newvdev) File "libzfs.pyx", line 2093, in libzfs.ZFSVdev.attach libzfs.ZFSException: device is too small During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 246, in _process_worker r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 111, in main_worker res = MIDDLEWARE._run(*call_args) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 45, in _run return self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, args, job=job) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call return methodobj(*params) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call return methodobj(*params) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 979, in nf return f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 223, in extend raise CallError(str(e), e.code) middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EZFS_BADDEV] device is too small """ The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 355, in run await self.future File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 386, in __run_body rv = await self.middleware._call_worker(self.method_name, *self.args, job={'id': self.id}) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1249, in _call_worker return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1168, in run_in_proc return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1151, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EZFS_BADDEV] device is too small

Can i boot from the boot manager? I have files and i dont want to loose them

I Have 1 Terrabyte as a boot selected. I wanted to boot from Usb and i tried to attach/Replace (with a 32 Usb and other 16GB USB sticks) but i have this error

Error: [EFAULT] concurrent.futures.process._RemoteTraceback: """ Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 220, in extend i['target'].attach(newvdev) File "libzfs.pyx", line 392, in libzfs.ZFS.__exit__ File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 220, in extend i['target'].attach(newvdev) File "libzfs.pyx", line 2093, in libzfs.ZFSVdev.attach libzfs.ZFSException: device is too small During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/process.py", line 246, in _process_worker r = call_item.fn(*call_item.args, **call_item.kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 111, in main_worker res = MIDDLEWARE._run(*call_args) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 45, in _run return self._call(name, serviceobj, methodobj, args, job=job) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call return methodobj(*params) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/worker.py", line 39, in _call return methodobj(*params) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 979, in nf return f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/zfs.py", line 223, in extend raise CallError(str(e), e.code) middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EZFS_BADDEV] device is too small """ The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 355, in run await self.future File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 386, in __run_body rv = await self.middleware._call_worker(self.method_name, *self.args, job={'id': self.id}) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1249, in _call_worker return await self.run_in_proc(main_worker, name, args, job) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1168, in run_in_proc return await self.run_in_executor(self.__procpool, method, *args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1151, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EZFS_BADDEV] device is too small

But the storage is big enough? Can I install another boot from the internet to my usb stick and boot it from the boot manager?

artlessknave

Wizard
So. I have 1 Terrbyte selected of a Boot manager and i have tried to attach and replace boot device. (With a 32GB USB Stick, i tried others with 16GB but it happens the same)
what does this mean? I know of no way to apply these concepts to TrueNAS that makes sense. TrueNAS doesnt use a boot manager; how are you selecting "1 terrbyte" of something that doesn't exist?

artlessknave

Wizard

from the duplicate thread you appear to have made, I think I made sense of what you are trying to say.
if I am understanding correctly, no, you cannot attach a smaller device to an existing pool. if you started the boot pool with a 1TB drive, you can never attach anything smaller than a 1 TB drive.

if you want to replace the 1 TB drive as boot, you will have to save your config, install to a new drive, and restore your config.

additionally, USB sticks are highly discouraged for use as boot drives, they are typically not reliable enough, and do not handle wear leveling well enough, to be suitable.

you also need to read and follow the forum rules, as well as do some reading on TrueNAS and ZFS.

artlessknave

Wizard
there are duplicate threads? I think I understand what you are trying to say now, but this should be contained to the first thread.

Yes, I am sry for posting it twice. It is my first time using a forum and i thought the first post was not availible. I have some problem in English (I am German) and sometimes i cant write well to explain thinks. I am really new to this technicall stuff but i am eccited to learn new things.

Thank you so much for the reply.

I did this: System - Genral -Save config

Then I did the files to my usb stick (I dont have really other options than usb)

System - boot - actions - add (and then I added my usb stick)

I clicked the 3 dots and pressed activate. Is that right? Can I delete my 1 Terrabyte drive?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Moderator note: I've merged all the posts into this one thread. Because it is harmless to have the multiple posts, and because there's a language barrier, I have not attempted to trim posts down to the bare minimum. Please do not complain about duplicate posts. Thanks.

artlessknave

Wizard
Then I did the files to my usb stick (I dont have really other options than usb)
I am not sure what you mean by this.
you'll need to give us your hardware, that will make some things more clear.
System - boot - actions - add (and then I added my usb stick)

I clicked the 3 dots and pressed activate. Is that right? Can I delete my 1 Terrabyte drive?
no. unfortunately, you cannot add a smaller drive to an existing boot pool via the GUI.
you need to save the config, reinstall truenas on the smaller drive, and upload the config.
(I believe I could do it a command line way but, honestly, its easier to just reinstall it)

there is a German section of the forums, if that's easier. there is at least one forum member who I believe is a regular there. I know about 10 words.
(I could try google translate but in my experience, it usually turns anything technical into gibberish)

@jgreco, thanks. I mainly just didn't want the posts getting confusing and it looked accidental/unintentional. I wasn't sure how to deal with that.

Last edited: