atomic moves

svenEsven

Dabbler
This may not be the best place to put this, but with all the arrs, its hard to know where to really post help for it. Plus now with truenas scale docker running on kube most arr help sections tell me to ask kube ppl, they say ask the arr people so on and so forth. So here i am where people use kube to run the arrs, hoping for help.

i've been using sonarr/radarr for ~4? years and have never gotten atomic moves/hardlinks to work. I am hoping someone here can tell me what i can do to remedy my hardlinking. I have oodles of setup information if someone feels like helping me figure this out, but for now i figured i would just post a link to all of my pathing to make sure that is at least set up appropriately before i dive any deeper. https://imgur.com/a/E27PrhF

thanks in advance to anyone willing to give me a hand.

Volts

Patron
Is "Incomplete" a different dataset? Atomic moves and hardlinks are only applicable within a single filesystem or dataset or share.

svenEsven

Dabbler
Is "Incomplete" a different dataset? Atomic moves and hardlinks are only applicable within a single filesystem or dataset or share.
Everything was entirely different datasets. I have made them into regular directories under a single dataset and am in the process of migrating everything over to those directories. hopefully after that my hardlinks work! thanks for your response

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Note that there are ongoing discussions on some support for inter-dataset operations without copying data. You can find out more on the OpenZFS github page.

Volts

Patron
The block cloning & reflink stuff? Exciting times indeed!

I'm curious if reflink works across multiple Docker mounts w/ Btrfs today. I know there have been Linux vfs changes to allow reflink across some multiple-mount-point situations. I don't have any intuition for how that would pass through to a Docker mount.

I'm also curious if it will work with Linux + ZFS underneath (if/when the ZFS stuff lands).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's Docker, so expect the most bizarre design decision to be made.

I'm also curious if it will work with Linux + ZFS underneath (if/when the ZFS stuff lands).
I know iX is pushing for renameat2 support specifically for Docker, which has been languishing for a few years. I'm not too familiar with the specifics of the overlayfs stuff, but they might take an interest in doing more than just getting rid of this specific pain point.

Volts

Patron
Oh lord, I wasn't even thinking about overlayfs. That's a whole Tiramisu of layering violations ... drunkenness at the bottom ...

I'm curious if reflink will work with "simple" bind mounts in Dockerized Linux on Linux w/ ZFS underneath.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
With any other piece of software, I'd be somewhat confident in saying yes. With Docker, I know I'll be surprised, I just don't know how yet.