ATA error count and currently unreadable sectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun Chugh

Dabbler
Will be glad if someone could help, I have the couple of errors below suddenly start to appear on my freenas.

Device: /dev/ada1, 20 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Device: /dev/ada1, ATA error count increased from 86 to 88

I have tried the steps defined here - https://dekoder.wordpress.com/2014/10/08/fixing-freenas-currently-unreadable-pending-sectors-error/. But this doesnt solve the problem. Have also performed scrubs a couple of times.

I have a couple of 4 TB Hard disks setup as mirror. Can I wipe ada1 and make it part of the mirror again, will that solve the above problems?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Looks like this drive is dying, you'll not fix the problem until you replace the drive unfortunately.

Varun Chugh

Dabbler
Looks like this drive is dying, you'll not fix the problem until you replace the drive unfortunately.

Sure, thanks. The disk is under warranty, I should be able to get it replaced.

Can I wipe the disk from the GUI and remove the same? Will freenas without the second disk? And can I run it for a few days till the replacement disk arrives?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, you can remove the disk and run FreeNAS without it until the second disk arrives, but I wouldn't recommend it. The disk is still working; leave it in the mirror until you've received, burned-in, and tested the new one, and it's an operating part of the array. The disk replacement process will offline the old disk automatically. Then you can worry about wiping it, if desired.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
D

Deleted47050

Don't trust some random blog on the internet. More often than not, they'll be wrong. Sometimes, the advice will be dangerous.

I think it would be useful for posterity if you could elaborate a little bit on this, perhaps mentioning what exactly in that post qualifies as dangerous advice.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think it would be useful for posterity if you could elaborate a little bit on this, perhaps mentioning what exactly in that post qualifies as dangerous advice.
This specific one isn't particularly dangerous. It's just useless advice that makes people waste time.

Status
Not open for further replies.