Arrow keys not working in shell (from GUI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBro2

Cadet
Bug... i'm not sure? I'm a noob to Freenas and Linux, but I'm very motivated to get this working again. Anyway, I upgraded from 9.3 to 9.10 and..... had some problems with conflicting IPs and stuff, but now I'm back in business with FreeNAS and the OwnCloud plugin.

I need to add a URL to the array for owncloud, but when I edit "config.php" (from the shell in GUI), my arrow keys don't work (they did in 9.3). I've tried 3 different pcs/keyboards, but I can't get the cursor to move to where I need to add the URL to the array. Any thoughts or advice?

TBro2

Cadet
Bug... i'm not sure? I'm a noob to Freenas and Linux, but I'm very motivated to get this working again. Anyway, I upgraded from 9.3 to 9.10 and..... had some problems with conflicting IPs and stuff, but now I'm back in business with FreeNAS and the OwnCloud plugin.

I need to add a URL to the array for owncloud, but when I edit "config.php" (from the shell in GUI), my arrow keys don't work (they did in 9.3). I've tried 3 different pcs/keyboards, but I can't get the cursor to move to where I need to add the URL to the array. Any thoughts or advice?

OK, kind of embarrassed to be the 1st to reply to my own post, but the problem seems to be the Edge browser, Edge did work before the upgrade to 9.10... odd. Anyway I thought I'd try the edit with Chrome and all is good. Arrows are back if I access the Gui with Chrome.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Stay away from Edge (which is just another crappy IE anyway...), Chrome is far too verbose with google's servers, Firefox is fine ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Edge works fine with the FreeNAS GUI. Of course, I haven't messed with the webshell, for obvious reasons.

danb35

Hall of Famer
for obvious reasons.
...and in case those aren't obvious to @TBro2, I'll spell them out: the web GUI shell is an unholy abomination from the seventh circle of Hell. It will eat your dog, kick your kids, and make your car stereo play nothing but Nickelback. Or more accurately, it has a bad habit of eating control characters, which makes it difficult to do anything more than the most basic commands at the shell prompt. Copy and paste is pretty broken, and good luck getting any editor to work.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
...and in case those aren't obvious to @TBro2, I'll spell them out: the web GUI shell is an unholy abomination from the seventh circle of Hell. It will eat your dog, kick your kids, and make your car stereo play nothing but Nickelback. Or more accurately, it has a bad habit of eating control characters, which makes it difficult to do anything more than the most basic commands at the shell prompt. Copy and paste is pretty broken, and good luck getting any editor to work.
And the short version would be use SSH and putty. ;)

danb35

Hall of Famer
PuTTY, or whatever other SSH client you like (I use a Mac most of the time, so it's the built-in SSH client instead). But definitely SSH.

Status
Not open for further replies.