FreeNAS console shell does not recognize Esc and Ctrl keys properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobits

Cadet
Hi, I have just set up a new FreeNAS server with the latest version FreeNAS-9.10.1-U2 (f045a8b). I have a question on how to configure the console shell keyboard to behave just like when I ssh into the FreeNAS. When I chose option 9 from the boot up console menu to enter into a shell, my USB keyboard keys do not behave the way I am used to. When I hit the Esc key it displays a ' instead. When I go into vi editor to edit or view files, none of the control key presses behave like normal. In the WEB GUI interface under System->General section I have specified the keyboard map: "Unitied States of America Traditional Unix Workstation". Why isn't the console keyboard keys working as expected? The keyboard keys are all fine when I ssh into the FreeNAS using putty. But not when I want to work from the console terminal directly. Please advise is this a configuration issue on my part or is this a bug or limitation?
Some examples of what I am experiencing at the console:
if I type ctrl-c it changes to upper case instead of exiting out of whatever.
In vi editor if I type Esc key it displays the apostrophy character '.
In vi editor if I type 'u' to undo typing, it does not work either.
In vi editor if I type : to get a command line to quit or write the file, it does not give the command line and just prints the : character. So I can't quit out of vi.

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I've never had to set a keyboard map... That sounds like your problem

D

dlavigne

Also, the web shell has limitations. You're probably better off ssh'ing into the system instead if you want a command line.

Status
Not open for further replies.