arp: modify perm entry question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cablet

Cadet
Greetings,
I am fairly new to the world of FreeNAS and the world of Linux/Unix.

I installed a new wifi router at home yesterday and am receiving an unfamiliar message in my daily log email from my FreeNAS server.

myname.local kernel log messages:

arp: ##:##:##:##:##:## attempts to modify permanent entry for 192.168.1.1 on epair1b
arp: 54:a0:50:57:b0:50 attempts to modify permanent entry for 192.168.1.1 on epair0b
a whole bunch more follows

The ##'s are the MAC address for the new router.
I don't know much about arp but it's my guess that this is happening because the new router has a different MAC address from the old one. Is this a correct guess? If so, is there something I can do to tell my server (and jails) that there is a new MAC address in town?

I'm hoping that this is a normal message and nothing to be concerned with?

Thanks for any input regarding this.

-Cablet

EDIT:
I was just reading that I should include my system specs in my posts.
When I get home from work I'll post this info.
It's new system. Intel motherboard, 16GB RAM, only using one of the two network ports. Imaged the system in January so hopefully fairly current OS.

Last edited:

cablet

Cadet
After two reboots I know longer get these messages. System is working fine. All three jails are working fine. Learning more about ARP and realize how much more there is to running my own server.

Not sure how to change post title from Question to Resolved. Still reading through forum to figure this out. If you know, please let me know. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.