Are virtual machine zvols created from the GUI optimized for performance?

Intel

Explorer
Reading some ZFS optimization guides they recommend to use recordsize/volblocksize = 4K and disable compression (https://www.medo64.com/2019/09/zfs-pool-for-virtual-machines/).

Looks like by default this is what is getting set:
Code:
root@nas[/mnt/nxg]# zfs get all nxg | grep recordsize
nxg   recordsize            128K                   default
root@nas[/mnt/nxg]# zfs get all nxg/test/win10-ssktgv  | grep size
nxg/test/win10-ssktgv  volsize                40G                    local
nxg/test/win10-ssktgv  volblocksize           16K                    -
root@nas[/mnt/nxg]# zfs get all nxg/test/win10-ssktgv  | grep comp
nxg/test/win10-ssktgv  compressratio          1.27x                  -
nxg/test/win10-ssktgv  compression            lz4                    inherited from nxg
nxg/test/win10-ssktgv  refcompressratio       1.27x                  -

Has anyone experimented changing these settings and observed noticeable improvements? are these truenas ZFS defaults on VM zvols appropriate and optimized already?

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
4K is an optimization for database IOPS.... many workloads will prefer a larger blocksize.
What is your workload?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If you run a VM with Ext4 or NTFS, both having a 4k native block size, wouldn't it be best to use a ZVOL with an identical block size for the virtual disk? I have been doing this since I started using VMs, but never ran any benchmarks.

It doesn't matter what the workload is - Ext4 will always write 4k chunks. As will NTFS.

Intel

Explorer
4K is an optimization for database IOPS.... many workloads will prefer a larger blocksize.
What is your workload?

I run several Windows 10/11/Server VMs for experiments. Sometimes I also run linux VMs.
If you run a VM with Ext4 or NTFS, both having a 4k native block size, wouldn't it be best to use a ZVOL with an identical block size for the virtual disk?

Yeah this is apparently what is recommended in multiple places as I was reading up on this - 4K block size is not used by TrueNAS Scale when it creates the zvol for a new VM; I can do this manually and maybe someone else here does it already?

The default settings used by TrueNAS seem 16K and I am curious why it uses that... maybe TrueNAS team has done benchmarks with multiple settings and 16K is better than 4K?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
16k is simply the default blocksize for ZVOLs as 128k is for datasets and most probably nobody gave a thought to making that configurable in the UI or changing it at all. :wink:

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
If you run a VM with Ext4 or NTFS, both having a 4k native block size, wouldn't it be best to use a ZVOL with an identical block size for the virtual disk? I have been doing this since I started using VMs, but never ran any benchmarks.

It doesn't matter what the workload is - Ext4 will always write 4k chunks. As will NTFS.
Being more precise, they will write in multiples of 4K.
Extents can be very large. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4#:~:text=An extent is a range,a 4 KiB block size.

So the workload does have an impact.
16K is common for database workloads... MySQL, SQL server.
Oracle can run at 4K
VMware (VDI) is typically around 24 - 32K but that is accessed via iSCSI/FC

fahadshery

Contributor
I am indeed passing the ZVOL as iSCSI to proxmox so that I could run VMs on it.

fahadshery

Contributor
I was using the default 16K volblocksize. but if that needs changing for performance gains, I am up for it

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You will have to check proxmox documentation and/or community for an optimal block size, I guess.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
You will have to check proxmox documentation and/or community for an optimal block size, I guess.
It will depend on the type of VMs running on Proxmox... database VMs may need smaller block size than image processing VMs.