Are nested pools possible?

Pitfrr

Wizard
Couldn't find any similar thread so here it is (not sure I have the good keywords though).

Context: On my backup system, I have a pool composed of 8 x 2TB drives in RAIDz2 (using FreeNAS 9.10.x).
3 drives present issues and are failing so that leaves me with 5 x 2TB.
I use this system for backup and with 5 drives remaining I might get away with a RAIDz1 pool (I need about 7TB space for the backup).
Note: new drives are available for the backup system I just need to have a temporary backup while they are burnt in.

Question:
I also have some 1TB drive lying around and I was thinking........
Would it be possible to do something like using 2 x 1TB drive instead of one of the 2TB drive?
Having 2x 1TB striped used as one of the 2TB drive in the RAIDz1 pool? I'd call that nested pools...
Note: I don't want to extend the initial pool, I want to replace one of the drives with several disks.

Initial pool configuration:
1587457652643.png

"Nested" pool configuration:
1587457803034.png

Then the pool would still have one drive parity even if the stripe fails (if one of the 1TB drive fails the complete stripe would be lost but not the complete pool).

Not sure if this is possible though... :) At least probably not through the web interface.
And I'm not saying I would do that on a production system... :)
It's more of a theoretical question (and maybe for testing purposes or in my case temporary backup).

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
if one of the 1TB drive fails the complete stripe would be lost but not the complete pool
If one of the members of the stripe is lost, the entire stripe is lost, so that theory doesn't work.

If you use the CLI, ZFS will take whatever partition you present it by GPTID (assuming the size is sufficient), so you could do all kinds of trickery to make more than one disk look like one disk.

In any case it is absolutely not possible to do that in any supported way... feel free to play with options using a RAID controller or other options to present 2 disks as a single disk to the OS to make what you want, just be prepared to lose all your data and have no help from this forum to recover.

Pitfrr

Wizard
Thanks for the feedback!

In any case it is absolutely not possible to do that in any supported way...
I though so... :-O

I don't have experience configuring ZFS from the CLI...
What commands should I be looking at? Would you have any pointers?

I might experience with it a bit, just for fun and to gain a bit of experience (later when I'm finished with my backups! :tongue:). Therefore I wouldn't mind if I lose the data.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I'm not going to spend a lot of time writing out instructions for you to do something that's dangerous and should never be used in any context for storing data with ZFS (and FreeNAS).

You can look into gpart (gpart list shows the rawuuid of partitions) to make partitions on whatever disk you can create (perhaps with GEOM: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/geom-striping.html) then using zpool create with the rawuuids to put the pool together.

As a final note, I think your exercise is folly and something nobody should be interested in doing, but I can appreciate the nature of experimental thought, so I haven't just ignored the post.

DO NOT DO THIS ON ANY SYSTEM HOLDING REAL DATA THAT YOU CARE ABOUT!

Last edited:

Pitfrr

Wizard
I'm not planning on using it actively on FreeNAS to store data.

It's only out of personal interest to get more in-depth understanding of ZFS, toying, messing around, experimenting, this helps quite a lot in understanding. And it's nice to have some pointer to know where to start to look... :smile:

I'm trying slowly to build up knowledge on FreeNAS, that is the idea behind.
I'll check out the link. Thanks.

sretalla