Approved UPS List

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyronebiggums

Dabbler
Hello all,

I've been watching FreeNAS install video tutorials on YouTube and noticed that one showed how to set up a UPS with it. I saw that there was a drop-down list of UPS's that already have their drivers setup in FreeNAS. I haven't been able to locate that list on this forum or anywhere else. Is there a screenshot or list somewhere that I can reference so I can buy a UPS that is plug-n-play? Thanks!

Nick2253

Wizard

tyronebiggums

Dabbler
This is the video that I watched, it's from April so I'm assuming it's a newer release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3P4sA-Sug

The reason I asked was because there is another thread that mentions a supposedly NUT compatible UPS Costco offers that is a pretty sweet price but people are having issues with it playing nice: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ups-is-communicating.18177/page-2#post-227152

I'd like to buy a UPS that is as easy to set up as shown in the video and not have to play Macgyver to make it play nice...

rogerh

Guru
The main problem seems to be that UPS makers, for some marketing reason that may or may not be related to proprietary software, like to keep their communications protocols as obscure as possible, and alter them as frequently as possible. My understanding is that APC recently produced machines with two completely different protocols, one for their proprietary software, and a slightly crippled one for acpupsd. On this background (plus poor quality componentss at least at the cheaper end) it is very hard for NUT to produce reliable drivers for any of them. You probably can't go wrong with one of the APC models that NUT supports, but they are not cheap if you want versatile controls of UPS shutdown and restart. If you just want the server to shutdown on prolonged power loss and then restart manually at your leisure then one of the basic 0nes may work if you check that NUT supports it.

Status
Not open for further replies.