SOLVED application for modifying mp4 tag data

lachdanan

Dabbler
I am looking for a way to modify tag data on mp4 files.

Specifically, I had previously populated the 'album' tag for movies using mp3tag editor back before Plex had automatic collections. As I am now on Truenas Core and did not make my media a SMB share, I can't simply use mp3tag editor again to correct this. I am looking for a way to either modify them using cli directly in Trunas or via a Jail.

The closest thing I have been able to find so far is using FFmpeg I am able to install it and remove the album data but no matter what I try it goes through the entire video and creates a different output file. Even when i use -c copy this is happening
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -metadata album="" -c copy output.mp4
This takes a really long time per video and honestly there just has to be a way to simply change the value of album without doing this.

Other applications I have looked at so far are exiftool, atomicparsley, mp4box and id3tool and they all look really promising for modifying tags but I am not able to successfully install any of them. I can't find any guides for doing so on Truenas Core. My attempt to try and forcefully install them have all failed.

To sum up everything with a single question,
What would be one of the easier ways to modify mp4 tag data (such as album field) on Truenas core?

Thank you for any and all help,

Last edited:

lachdanan

Dabbler
I ended up deciding to create a SMB share that allows my existing Windows VM to see the files. My plan is to simply leave the share disabled whenever not actively correcting tag data and to just use mp3tag editor. Not 'solved' in the way I was hoping, but seems to be the easiest solution to my end goal.

NugentS

MVP
Were you trying to install stuff on Core. If so - you can't / shouldn't and should be using a Jail or a VM instead (or have I got the wrong end of the stick)

lachdanan

Dabbler
Were you trying to install stuff on Core. If so - you can't / shouldn't and should be using a Jail or a VM instead (or have I got the wrong end of the stick)
I was using a Jail. Still a good reminder though to be doing such things in Jails. Even though I have my work around of using my Windows VM I'm still a bit confused as to why some of the programs would act like they would install from the repository but then wouldn't work and couldn't be located. At this point it's just kind of a shrug though. I'm definitely set until I decide to make the move to Scale. This experience has made that Linux eco-system much more tempting.