AOC-SASLP-MV8 - whooops, maybe. has anyone gotten this working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atob37

Cadet
I am using a Norco 4224 case and a pair of Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards. Unfortunately, I didn't do my homework, and it looks like these cards aren't currently supported by FreeNAS. I have come across a few references to the Marvell 6480 drivers, which may be the correct ones for this card, but there are no specific references to this particular card and getting it to work with FreeBSD.

The long and short of it is that my drives and the controller cards are showing up in BIOS, but not in FreeNAS GUI, or in a look through /dev/. Is it worth trying to figure out some way to use these cards, or should I send them back and go with another make? Who else makes a $150 or less SAS controller for PCIe 4x?

dmesg | grep controller
Code:
hpt27xx: RocketRAID 27xx controller driver v1.0 (Mar 10 2013 16:34:54)
hpt27xx: no controller detected.

(other controllers do show up, but they are all USB, or an onboard SATA controller)

Thanks!

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I have one or two of these exact cards laying around and have never gotten them to work properly in FreeNAS/FreeBSD or any Linux variant I have played with. It was a waste of my money....

I have a few more cards that I experimented with a couple of years ago as well. I will be sticking with well supported cards from now on.

atob37

Cadet
So it looks like my best bet is probably to go the IBM M1015 route. Pick up two of them, flash them, and that gives me 4x4 SAS ports. Motherboard has 6 SATA ports, so I can run 22 drives on a Norco 4224 enclosure if I pull two of the backplanes and run 6 drives with SATA cables and power. Thanks everyone! Will keep you updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.