Dell PERC H310 - IT Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppa

Explorer
So I got my 15 Dell H310's to replace my AOC-SASLP-MV8 HBA's today. Old Thread. Do I really need to flash these cards? It seems like such a hassle and quite frankly, I am too lazy to flash 15 cards.

Is there some way to tell if it has already been flashed to IT mode? I put one of these in my server and started up FreeNAS and sure enough, 8 of my drives are showing in FreeNAS where none did on the Marvell AOC-SASLP-MV8 HBA's. I also now see this when I boot up the system. It seems to indicate these cards are not running in RAID mode. It also says to press Ctrl+R to run the configuration utility. Would it be possible to turn enable IT more from there if I need to?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
In order to RELIABLY run these cards in machines running FreeNAS 9.10.2 or FreeNAS 11.0
you will need to (at bare minimum) up date the firmware. The picture indicates the work
will be more involved though... The screen says RAID. Sorry man!

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Covering pins is not required on all systems. Maybe not even most. My H310 did not need it.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Is there a tl;dr version with pictures?
ROTFLMAO
You are a funny guy!
Is there no automated script or program that can do this for me?
No there is not, but you can do several cards at once (as many as you have slots for).
Let's do a shout out for @Mlovelace as I recall he was the one who has posted about performing
mutiplecardatonce flashing... I think it was him... maybe... not sure...

Poppa

Explorer
I am stuck at the first step on this guide. Whenever I enter the command megacli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll -page 20, I get these errors.

DOS/32A waring (9004): mouse initialization failed
DOS/32A waring (9001): no extended memory has been allocated
DOS/32A fatal (4003): not enough extended memory to load application exec "C:\MEGACLI.EXE"

Can someone who has flashed a Dell H310 please help.

Mlovelace

Guru
I am stuck at the first step on this guide. Whenever I enter the command megacli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll -page 20, I get these errors.

DOS/32A waring (9004): mouse initialization failed
DOS/32A waring (9001): no extended memory has been allocated
DOS/32A fatal (4003): not enough extended memory to load application exec "C:\MEGACLI.EXE"

Can someone who has flashed a Dell H310 please help.
The problem appears to be with your DOS boot environment. The software, MEGACLI.EXE, requires hi-memory or the extended memory to run. Try downloading a copy of freedos and rebuilding the usb boot drive, or perhaps a new usb thumb drive altogether.

Poppa

Explorer
Ok so I managed instal freedos and everything seemed to run fine but when I entered megacli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll -page 20 it just made some blank lines and didn't do anything. I even let it sit a while and still nothing.

This is starting to really frustrate me.

Mlovelace

Guru
Ok so I managed instal freedos and everything seemed to run fine but when I entered megacli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll -page 20 it just made some blank lines and didn't do anything. I even let it sit a while and still nothing.

This is starting to really frustrate me.

Try the command without the '-page 20' flag.

Edit: I have been looking through the commands for megacli and '-page' isn't one of them. I'm guessing that is causing your problem.

Last edited:

Poppa

Explorer
I have flashed 5 of my cards. Is there any way to verify that my cards are running the latest firmware in IT mode?

Mlovelace

Guru
In the FreeNAS CLI run the command sas2flash -list -c X X being the number of your controller (0-4) and you should get an output like this:
Code:
LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 16.00.00.00 (2013.03.01)
Copyright (c) 2008-2013 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2116_1(B1)

Controller Number			  : 0
		Controller					 : SAS2116_1(B1)
		PCI Address					: 00:02:00:00
		SAS Address					: 500062b-2-0097-ec40
		NVDATA Version (Default)	   : 14.01.00.06
		NVDATA Version (Persistent)	: 14.01.00.06
		Firmware Product ID			: 0x2213 (IT)
		Firmware Version			   : 20.00.07.00
		NVDATA Vendor				  : LSI
		NVDATA Product ID			  : SAS9201-16i
		BIOS Version				   : N/A
		UEFI BSD Version			   : N/A
		FCODE Version				  : N/A
		Board Name					 : SAS9201-16i
		Board Assembly				 : H3-25373-01J
		Board Tracer Number			: SV41632407

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
		Exiting SAS2Flash.

You'll see the firmware version 20.00.07.00 (latest) and it's Product ID is in (IT) mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poppa

Explorer
Thanks.

When I try to check card 5, I get errors. FreeNAS sees all 36 of my drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.