Anyone running MS Cluster shared volume with Failover on Freenas 8.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABFreak

Cadet
Using a couple of Windows server 2008 R2 as nodes for Hyper-V Failover Clustering and Freenas 8.3-Release as iSCSI storage.
I am able to Live Migrate Virtual Machines both ways with no problem but unable to change the Cluster Shared Volume owner.
If I try to, it goes offline and I cannot bring it online unless I wait for about an hour or I stop and start the iSCSI service on Freenas.
According to this URL it was an issue caused by an old ISGT and fixed in version 8.0.1-Beta
http://support.freenas.org/ticket/322
But I am getting the very same issue in version 8.3-Release
Is there anything I can do to test or is this still a known issue?

Mike

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Reports of that being fixed may be premature. I don't think it was actually fully fixed in istgt, which means it'll still be broke in FreeNAS too. I think it got marked off as "fixed" because one of the developers saw that it had been worked on in istgt.

Lacking a MS Cluster with which to test, I can't really comment further. However, since you seem to have one, I would strongly encourage you to submit any and all information you have and re-open the ticket. The FreeNAS developers definitely want it all to work, it's just rough testing under every possible complex setup...

JABFreak

Cadet
Thank you for the quick response.
I am surprised to see this as an issue and even more surprised not to see tons of replies as it seams to me that Failover Clustering of Hyper-v with Cluster Shared Volumes would/should be one of the most popular goals to achieve but anyhow, I will gather all my info and open a ticket and perhaps report back.

Mike

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You would think that iSCSI on ESXi would also be quite a popular use, but my observations were that if people couldn't make it work well, they were likely to just take a pass and move on to something else. There were some ZFS performance issues with iSCSI that initially made it unusable for our application, and while I ultimately worked through those to a resolution, it took some time and the v28 code and reading the code and other things to get there, and by that time, we had already moved on. I still think we'll end up doing iSCSI on FreeNAS but not right now. So I kind of sit around here giving ESXi iSCSI users a push in the right direction. I suspect most other users who were looking specifically at Hyper-V ran into the 322 problem with no obvious path to solution and just moved on. Just my best guess based on having been sitting around here a few years playing iSCSI geek.

If you open a new ticket, suggest at least referencing the old ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.