Any thoughts of my first FreeNAS server build from my old crap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have spent the last 2 days reading on the forum after my old underpowered crappy plug and pray NAS box alerted me that it has done its job and need to rest permanently.

I know that using old hardware is not the recommended route, but I just got my second child and investing in all new hardware right now is just not in the budget. I also plan du backup the datastore to an external 4TB USB drive using Rsync (anybody know of a better option?).

I plan to use the following services: CIFS, SSH, Rsync and UPS monitoring and ZFS in Z1. And maybe AFP.

The workload will only be 2 users. But I want good performance. and hopefully have a server I can use for a couple of years before the budget can allow for some new hardware.

Okey, it's not all crap, but close. My plan is to use a HP Z400 workstation. the spec is as followed:

- Xeon W3503
- 12Gb ECC memory (do I need more?)
- 3 X 2TB WD Red in Z1 (New drives I bought for this project)
- Intel Pro 1000 Pcie network adapter.
- Rapidsonic IB-544SSK HDD backplane solution

-----

Optional hardware I got in my "box of things I might need one day"
- And old IBM ServeRAID M5015 I can use (not in raid) but cross flashed into IT mode. Have read jgrecos guide here. https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/confused-about-that-lsi-card-join-the-crowd.11901/
- I also got and Xeon X5687 I can replace the W3503
- APC Smart-UPS with USB interface

What I have done up until know:
- 4 passes of the "Hard Drive Burn-In Testing" thanks to qwertymodos for the excellent guide.
- 72 hours of mentest86

Any thoughts on the project before my family photos goes up in flames....

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I also plan du backup the datastore to an external 4TB USB drive using Rsync (anybody know of a better option?).
Don't use USB for backing up your pool. eSATA is better and the 4TB drive placed in another PC is even better yet.

Don't use USB for backing up your pool. eSATA is better and the 4TB drive placed in another PC is even better yet.

I would agree. But my WD drive only have USB 3.0. I can connect the drive to my daily workstation and do the backup from that, if that is a better option.

ethereal

Guru
with raidz1 they recommend not using drives larger than 1TB so you may need to get another drive for raidz2 - i think you can use 3 drives as a 3 way mirror

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I would agree. But my WD drive only have USB 3.0. I can connect the drive to my daily workstation and do the backup from that, if that is a better option.
No matter what it's hooked to, the USB interface is a lousy way to back up anything where the data
is important.
More info here...

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
The card you mentioned is NOT able to be cross-flashed to IT Mode. Please note that the card that can be cross-flashed is an IBM ServeRAID M1015

You are correct, then that option i out!

Just so you know, that board holds 16 GB RAM max (4 DIMM Model)
Just checked and I seem to have the updatet version with 6 DIMMs, thats 24GB Max :)

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I want good performance.
- 12Gb ECC memory (do I need more?)
For good performance, you might, but you can start with 12GB and see what happens. You're not down at the "it might eat your pool" shallow end.

Status
Not open for further replies.