Any good external hard drives for FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been running FreeNAS on an old laptop, using a USB stick for the OS and the old hard drive as storage, but the hard drive only has 300GB of storage. I'm looking into getting a external USB hard drive to hold all of my movies, music, TV shows, etc. I have been looking into this drive because it is cheap and it has a lot of storage. Is this a good drive for my purpose? Will I be able to add it to my current volume? If this is not a good external drive, do you guys have any other recommendations? I tried googling it, but I couldn't find any useful posts. Thank You!

Version: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6200 @ 2.13GHz
Memory: 7834MB

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You......want to use an old laptop as a FreeNAS.....with external USB drives.

Is that correct?

I'll be diplomatic: that's a horrible idea. It's actually a horrible idea on TOP of a horrible idea.

The reason you cannot "find any useful posts" is because it is such a colossally bad idea, that no one ever tries to do this, and in case they do, the posts they get back from us in the forum are usually so vitriolic that they have to be deleted.

Yatti420

Wizard
No.. It's not worth it.. Dedicate a beige box and a bunch of drives then use that laptop to setup the freenas box and shares!! Using external disks is just a horrible idea as per the docs.. I don't even do it as a temp reading solution etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.