Another Transmission Permissions Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laser411

Dabbler
I've installed transmission using the gui and setup the storage and followed a guide and a few forum posts on setting write permissions for transmission.

So here's what I did:

Installed transmission
created storage for the jail and matched the directory names for simplicity
added a transmission user on freenas with the same UID of 921 I believe
changed permissions so that transmission owned the storage and my user group had access (775)
verified this from within the jail.

total 160
drwxrwxr-x 6 transmission 1001 6 Jan 3 08:37 Media

Yet transmission still says:
Permission denied (//Media/*******)

also something weird, might be a version change but someone suggested editing the transmission .json file in
/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/settings.json

but it did not exist.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
don't edit the settings.json file directly to edit the download directory. this is available from the transmission webui or remote interface.
you current setting isn't a real path, paths don't have multiple forward slashes in a row.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
don't edit the settings.json file directly to edit the download directory. this is available from the transmission webui or remote interface.
you current setting isn't a real path, paths don't have multiple forward slashes in a row.

Laser411

Dabbler
The post was talking about changing the umask, what I'm saying is that I don't see where the json file even exists, even though everything has been set through the gui settings. The download/watch/incomplete directory settings are already set, and properly from what I can tell. each of the folders are in the //Media dataset/directory and permissions were set recursively and verified yet it still gives me a permission denied error when trying to download a torrent.

Laser411

Dabbler
Still not working, been racking my head for a while trying to figure this out. I definitely DO NOT want to set permissions to 777 as this will be an internet exposed machine.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
The post was talking about changing the umask, what I'm saying is that I don't see where the json file even exists, even though everything has been set through the gui settings. The download/watch/incomplete directory settings are already set, and properly from what I can tell. each of the folders are in the //Media dataset/directory and permissions were set recursively and verified yet it still gives me a permission denied error when trying to download a torrent.
The settings.json file is in /var/db/transmission now, but you shouldn't be editing except for settings not already available in the transmission webui/remote interface, or the transmission settings menu in the left panel of the FreeNAS WebUI.
That post you are reading is incorrect for current times. If you need to change the 'umask' setting, you can just edit the permission setting in the transmission settings menu, in the left panel of the FreeNAS WebUI.

But... that will not solve an issue with transmission being able to write files. That setting changes what permission level files written by transmission are. Transmission still needs write permission to whatever its download directory is.

Also, as I said earlier "//Media" isn't a path. You need to tell transmission to download to a real path in the jail, like "/media".

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Still not working, been racking my head for a while trying to figure this out. I definitely DO NOT want to set permissions to 777 as this will be an internet exposed machine.
You don't need to set it to 777, but the transmission user needs write permissions.
See here...
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/

Also, setting a directory to 777 doesn't all of a sudden mean you'll be hacked because your machine is on the internet. There's a reason these plugins run in a jail.

Laser411

Dabbler
The settings.json file is in /var/db/transmission now, but you shouldn't be editing except for settings not already available in the transmission webui/remote interface, or the transmission settings menu in the left panel of the FreeNAS WebUI.
That post you are reading is incorrect for current times. If you need to change the 'umask' setting, you can just edit the permission setting in the transmission settings menu, in the left panel of the FreeNAS WebUI.

But... that will not solve an issue with transmission being able to write files. That setting changes what permission level files written by transmission are. Transmission still needs write permission to whatever its download directory is.

Also, as I said earlier "//Media" isn't a path. You need to tell transmission to download to a real path in the jail, like "/media".

I made the /Media and it still says it is denied

root@transmission_1:/ # ls -l
total 160
-rw-r--r-- 2 root wheel 965 Jul 10 2014 .cshrc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 4 Jan 2 20:41 .plugins
-rw-r--r-- 2 root wheel 253 Jul 10 2014 .profile
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 6197 Jul 10 2014 COPYRIGHT
drwxrwxr-x 6 transmission 1001 6 Jan 4 11:25 Media <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 46 Jul 10 2014 bin
drwxr-xr-x 7 root wheel 40 Jul 10 2014 boot
dr-xr-xr-x 8 root wheel 512 Jan 4 11:27 dev
drwxr-xr-x 21 root wheel 104 Jan 4 11:27 etc
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 49 Jul 10 2014 lib
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 5 Apr 2 2015 libexec
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 2 Jul 10 2014 media
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 2 Jul 10 2014 mnt
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 0 Jan 4 11:30 proc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 144 Jul 10 2014 rescue
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 7 Jan 2 20:47 root
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 132 Jul 10 2014 sbin
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 11 Jul 10 2014 sys -> usr/src/sys
drwxrwxrwt 6 root wheel 7 Jan 4 11:27 tmp
drwxr-xr-x 15 root wheel 15 Jan 2 20:41 usr
drwxr-xr-x 25 root wheel 25 Jan 4 11:27 var

Laser411

Dabbler
I have already read that and followed the instructions for making a Freenas user with the same uid, then I changed the dataset recursively to be owned by transmission with UID 921

And 777 means that if someone is on my network, they can delete files in that directory

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I made the /Media and it still says it is denied

root@transmission_1:/ # ls -l
total 160
-rw-r--r-- 2 root wheel 965 Jul 10 2014 .cshrc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 4 Jan 2 20:41 .plugins
-rw-r--r-- 2 root wheel 253 Jul 10 2014 .profile
-r--r--r-- 1 root wheel 6197 Jul 10 2014 COPYRIGHT
drwxrwxr-x 6 transmission 1001 6 Jan 4 11:25 Media <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 46 Jul 10 2014 bin
drwxr-xr-x 7 root wheel 40 Jul 10 2014 boot
dr-xr-xr-x 8 root wheel 512 Jan 4 11:27 dev
drwxr-xr-x 21 root wheel 104 Jan 4 11:27 etc
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 49 Jul 10 2014 lib
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 5 Apr 2 2015 libexec
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 2 Jul 10 2014 media
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 2 Jul 10 2014 mnt
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 0 Jan 4 11:30 proc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 144 Jul 10 2014 rescue
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 7 Jan 2 20:47 root
drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 132 Jul 10 2014 sbin
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 11 Jul 10 2014 sys -> usr/src/sys
drwxrwxrwt 6 root wheel 7 Jan 4 11:27 tmp
drwxr-xr-x 15 root wheel 15 Jan 2 20:41 usr
drwxr-xr-x 25 root wheel 25 Jan 4 11:27 var
my comment still stands, '/Media' is not a path in your jail.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I have already read that and followed the instructions for making a Freenas user with the same uid, then I changed the dataset recursively to be owned by transmission with UID 921

And 777 means that if someone is on my network, they can delete files in that directory
how would someone write the file? they would still need an network protocol to access your machine.

file permissions only affect when something already has access to your local system.

Laser411

Dabbler
That copy/paste was from my jail's shell, I set the permissions to 777 temporarily and it worked. I added the storage as /mnt/myvolumename/Media and added the same to the jail. Also, If I have guests on my wifi, including children, I would like them to be able to access the files and watch movies but not be able to delete anything.

Something is wrong with either the jail user or the freenas user, typo or something.

The root account of the jail can create folders/files but the transmission user can't, transmission can see the directory too because it lists the available space .

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
That copy/paste was from my jail's shell, I set the permissions to 777 temporarily and it worked. I added the storage as /mnt/myvolumename/Media and added the same to the jail. Also, If I have guests on my wifi, including children, I would like them to be able to access the files and watch movies but not be able to delete anything.

Something is wrong with either the jail user or the freenas user, typo or something.

The root account of the jail can create folders/files but the transmission user can't, transmission can see the directory too because it lists the available space .
OK, so since you gave me output from the wrong place my assessment was wrong. you should use /Media and you do have a permission issue.

'ls -l / && ls -l /Media' in the jail will show why transmission can write to the directory.

as for your sharing needs to have read-only users and read-write users, this can be done with different shares or at the local permission level. so, like I said, having a 777 folder doesn't mean anyone on your network can write to it, unless you setup a share people can access.

Status
Not open for further replies.