Another Freenas newbie wanting a home media file server

Status
Not open for further replies.

djlax152

Dabbler
So I'm trying to build another, yess.. a FreeNas box for my home media server. I have about 4 HTPC client computers, (1) that is going to do all the recording directly to FreeNas via CIFS share. While the others will be accessing my media library and TV recordings. I wont be using the Plex plugin but i do use transmission for downloads. I'm looking at aSupermicro X9SCM-B LGA1155, I am planning on starting with 16GB ECC RAM then later adding another 16GB. I also plan on using (7)1tb WD Black drives in a RaidZ2. Now as for choosing the other hardware i am having trouble because the more i read the forums the more i hear a fast processor or adding an SSD for LARC2 or ZIL won't help for the home user. So my question is if throwing SSDs for write and read cache isn't going to help the home user or buying a fast CPU doesn't help the home user then what does? Is there something else i can do to get a performance boost, or is it just a waste of time and money? If that's the case is Zfs\Freenas even a good solution for a home media file server or is this geared towards more of an enterprise solution for DB servers, ESX.. ect? Thanks for all your help guys! :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
As you said, there's alot of factors that affect the performance at home. For home users, the single best resource is RAM. Yes, your CPU can't be a $25 special. It needs to have some processing power, but a $300 Xeon isn't always required. For home users that don't plan to use encryption, compression, or Plex with transcoding, a CPU like a G2020 or G3220 is usually more than sufficient. If you want to do any/all of those things you are probably looking at a Xeon. The Xeon 1230s usually are more than sufficient for those situations.

Transmission is particularly bad for pools. It causes a lot of random writes which really hurts pool performance. It can also cause significant fragmentation that can't be defragged later since ZFS has no defrag tools. You may or may not ever have a problem if you choose to use transmission. Many people have no problem, but some do.

TheSmoker

Patron
To mediate transmission problem you can use a staging/download disk then periodically move the downloaded data to existing zfs datasets.

djlax152

Dabbler
You read my mind smoker! thats exactly what i was thinking about doing. I was even thinking of using an SSD for the download disk.. Idk maybe i'm over-thinking it.

Shroom

Explorer
To mediate transmission problem you can use a staging/download disk then periodically move the downloaded data to existing zfs datasets.

This *almost* makes me want to integrate my seedbox into my NAS. But my Atom 330 <30W setup works pretty well. I prefer to keep torrenting separate from other applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.