BUILD And yet Another Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabsd

Dabbler
I am fairly new to FreeNAS and have been reading a lot in the forums, but I am still not sure how to go about my first NAS. So here is my situation: I need central storage for your usual home/family stuff: pictures, a few home-made videos, music. I want to access them from a couple of Macs, a tablet, maybe a Raspberry Pi in the near future.
Now money is totally an issue, so I need to go with the cheapest that does not fall in the realm of "utter crap", as I've learned the hard way that, say, the hot deal $20 component is 20 wasted dollars.
So I feel kinda out of place here where people are discussing 32 vs 64 Gb RAM, or >$2,000 builds. But here I am anyway. Feel free to speak your mind, it will be highly appreciated

Alright, so my basic question is, do I get an HP G7 N54L and throw in some more RAM

HP ProLiant G7 N54L MicroServer Server System AMD Turion II Model Neo N54L 2GB 250GB LFF Operating System None 704941-001 HP ProLiant G7 N54L MicroServer Server System AMD Turion II Model Neo N54L 2GB 250GB LFF Operating System None 704941-001

or do I build a system from scratch using a Pentium G3220 and cheapest Supermicro motherboard I can find?

Will I be able to run FreeNAS on the N54L (assuming I put 8GB RAM)?
Is ZFS the only option (I read 16GB RAM are strongly suggested), or can I configure it to use other file systems. I don't think I need ZFS.

Again, any insight will be appreciated. Even if you just tell me to go read some more (in that case, please provide the link ;))

Thank you guys so much. You rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.