Amazing how cheap used hardware is

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerX

Cadet
I spent a fortune around 8 years ago to buy a SuperMicro chassis and install 320GB hard drives and a PCI-X hardware RAID card. I later upgraded to 1.5TB drives, and the whole thing is running on an old copy of Windows Server 2003.

I picked up these Rackable Systems Components and an IBM/LSI SAS card for under $350 - 8 low-power Xeon cores, 16GB memory, and 16 drive bays. Should be a solid build. Now I just need some disks...

7b76ae4c5f5111e3a16a122b8b9af17f_8.jpg

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
There are 2TB Reds at Newegg or Amazon for $95.

Also, that's the same USB stick that I use for my FreeNAS, coincidentally.

scurrier

Patron
So, where'd you get the used hardware? Ebay? Craigslist? Fall off the back of a truck right in front of you?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi scurrier,

I suspect they scored the system off ebay. There's tons of old Rackable Systems gear out there (I would think there was a massive datacenter hardware refresh).

Stuff "RACKABLE SYSTEMS SGI" into the ebay seach bar. There is a 16 bay SAS enclosure that I like, look for "RACKABLE SYSTEMS SGI SE3016".

-Will

KTrain

Dabbler
So, where'd you get the used hardware? Ebay? Craigslist? Fall off the back of a truck right in front of you?

I'm an HP fan and have purchased several Proliant 380s off Ebay with great success. If you know the brand and hardware you're looking for really well you can find some steals.

Richman

Patron
I think RogerX went MIA after December 7th. Who stoll Roger Rabbit?

Status
Not open for further replies.