An introduction

DangerNoodle

Cadet
Hi folks, just thought I'd follow the advice in the welcome message and introduce myself. I built my first server about 8 years based on a Gen7 HP microserver running on WHS2011, 8GB of EEC RAM, the optional KVM card, hacked BIOS, a 256GB SSD for OS and 2x3TB WD Red in Raid 1 and 2x6TB WD Red in Raid 1 for storage. I use it mainly for personal back up and Plex, running Plex Server as a service. However 8 years on some friends and family have access to the Plex server side and it's starting to creak, which brings me to now. I managed to pic up a Dell T320 with 8LFF Hotswap drivesm 6 Core Intel Xeon CPU, H310 Raid card and dual 495W PSUS for not too much money, I did have to straighten the bent chassis (amazing what you can do with a well placed hammer!). it came with 4GB of RAM but I've since upgraded this to 48GB of ECC Registered. I have added a 4x2.5" dock in one of the 5 1/4" bays to house extra drives/OS Drives. The 8 Large bays will hold 4x3TB WD Red and 4x 6TB Red. I intended to try using ProxMox so I could have a seperate Plex VM (via OMV) and run up Windows 2016 Server machines and Hosting machines for playing/learning with, however ProxMox didn't seem to work for what I wanted. I want to keep the 8 Large bays as Plex Data Drives only and seperate from anything else. I hoped to use the 2 x 2.5" 1TB drives I have at present for running the OS's and web storage. I may add 2 more 1TB 2.5" drives or 2 x 240GB SSD in the future. I then considered OMV but it doesn't seem to work too well with ZFS, which brought me to FreeNAS. So now I have some more reading and googling to see if this will fit the bill. I'll apologise now for any stupid questions in the next week. Thanks for reading and enjoy your Sunday.

pro lamer

Guru
I intended to try using ProxMox so I could have a separate Plex VM (via OMV) and run up Windows 2016 Server machines and Hosting machines for playing/learning with, however ProxMox didn't seem to work for what I wanted
Will you elaborate more on the problems, please?

I'm considering proxmox...

Sent from my phone