Almost Made a Less Power Hungry NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That part is simple. Turn off DHCP on the router and give it a static IP. Plug your network cable into a LAN port and you now have an access point.
Not even that complicated. On Asus routers, it's literally just:

Administration
Operating Mode
Access Point
Choose to keep current WiFi settings
Choose an IP address or DHCP

joeschmuck

Old Man
So I played with Sophos a little bit and it is very nice, but complex as well. I may be able to play with it some more this weekend but after a long day at work sitting in front of a computer, i find it difficult to sit in front of a computer much longer except to check a few emails.

Right now I need to do a little research on system components which will easily support the throughput of my household for the future, not just today, and to ensure it can handle running the Intrusion Detection System software which is here the major overhead comes in. So, I need to figure out the CPU horsepower and how small I can make it. Luckily I don't need ECC RAM ! However, if the system can use ECC, it would give me a fallback system for my FreeNAS. And of course low power is key, I'd like to have passive cooling as well.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sophos is the bomb!

Thanks for the link! The more you guys talk about pfSense, the more I want to build one.
You should look into Sophos, so many features and no packages to install, it's much easier. I think the way to compare the products is pfSense is more for power users whereas Sophos is for the non-network guru. I'm not a networking guru and I don't want to be.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
An update on my HP thin client sophos box:
I upgraded my internet from 100/10 to 150/20 and it would appear that little box tops out at 100mbps even with 1gbps cards. Even switched over to pfsense and vyos on it to test speed and could only pull a little over 100m through it.

It was a good little experiment though and I can use the box as a spare router for clients for temporary use.

joeschmuck

Old Man
An update on my HP thin client sophos box:
I upgraded my internet from 100/10 to 150/20 and it would appear that little box tops out at 100mbps even with 1gbps cards. Even switched over to pfsense and vyos on it to test speed and could only pull a little over 100m through it.

It was a good little experiment though and I can use the box as a spare router for clients for temporary use.
Are the NICs recognized a 1gb interfaces? It just seems odd that it tops out at 100mbps.

gpsguy

The CPU would be my guess too. Frankly, I am surprised that it did so well, before the change.

Sent from my phone

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
The CPU would be my guess too. Frankly, I am surprised that it did so well, before the change.

Sent from my phone
Yeah. I'm also suspect of the riser card. Don't know if it can actually handle the bandwidth. It was a cool experiment though. It definitely works well for up to a 100m connection.

nanodec

Dabbler
Those are the sorts of calculations I'll never let my wife see.
This.

There are some things not worth calculating... this is one of those things best left unknown... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.