Another potential user

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkong85

Cadet
Hi everyone,
after having repeated issues with mapped or mounted (windows or linux) network locations to my windows file share, I'm looking at creating a NAS. Obviously I want a client OS independent NAS with secure encryption so I'm looking at FreeNAS. My one question/concern I have and I haven't been able to find an answer to in the forums yet is this. Does FreeNas/FreeBSD support power stepping on the CPU? My current server that's acting as a NAS consumes 28 watts at idle with 5 HDD's and a quad core CPU. Ideally I'd like it if my NAS uses that or less. I'm not a company that can afford huge electric bills.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
FreeNAS inherits FreeBSD's support for power saving features, so your CPU will clock down as expected.

Whether or not your current server is compatible with FreeBSD and/or is an ideal or compatible platform for ZFS is another question though.

Welcome!

dkong85

Cadet
It's currently running Windows storage pool. I'd hope that ZFS could handle equivalent hardware. I'm dealing with consumer grade hardware here and really don't want to spend the money on enterprise level hardware.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm dealing with consumer grade hardware here and really don't want to spend the money on enterprise level hardware.

ZFS does not like "consumer grade" - especially not non-ECC RAM. Although you might be surprised at how little "enterprise level" hardware can cost if you stick to the SoHo level stuff like T110's or TS140s.

maglin

Patron
Hi everyone,
after having repeated issues with mapped or mounted (windows or linux) network locations to my windows file share, I'm looking at creating a NAS. Obviously I want a client OS independent NAS with secure encryption so I'm looking at FreeNAS. My one question/concern I have and I haven't been able to find an answer to in the forums yet is this. Does FreeNas/FreeBSD support power stepping on the CPU? My current server that's acting as a NAS consumes 28 watts at idle with 5 HDD's and a quad core CPU. Ideally I'd like it if my NAS uses that or less. I'm not a company that can afford huge electric bills.
Just the hard drives will use more power as they don't spin down in FreeNAS. Not knowing your current hardware I would say expect around 80 watts. Really 28 watts doesn't sound right. How are you getting that number? I think current quad core CPUs can idle around 10 watts. PSUs not even in use consume 5-10 watts.

You need to give us your hardware to get any decent reply as to power usage.

My rig in my Sig uses 160 watts with 15 HDDs at idle and about 180 under just file serving load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.