Allowing Users from Different Workstations to Read/Write files that were made from other Workstations

dschulz1227

Cadet
Hey everyone I did some searching and couldn't find a direct solution to my problem.

I have a python program that uses a GUI to capture user input and insert it into a database. It also creates a PDF file that saves to my shared network folder using TrueNAS. My problem is that when a user submits a PDF to the folder, a user from a separate workstation can not edit it.

For context, this is a Repair Order management program. Users from my office can submit repair orders that are then saved to the network folder. When the repair order is completed, a technician goes into the program and marks it complete, filling out a few more input fields. When the technician clicks "Submit" it updates in the GUI, the database, and then a SECOND PAGE is generated and attached to the existing repair order PDF. That is where the problem arises.

Let;s say I have two computers, WS1 and WS2. If the repair order is submitted on WS1, the only way I can mark it complete and append the 2nd page to the existing PDF is if I do it from WS1. If I try to do it on WS2, the program encounters a permissions error.

Here is the error message I receive:

'''
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\damon\PycharmProjects\device_db_sql\new_main.py", line 2137, in update_order_status
generate_technician_details_pdf(work_details, user_name, employee_number, completion_date,
File "C:\Users\damon\PycharmProjects\device_db_sql\new_main.py", line 2070, in generate_technician_details_pdf
pdf.output(pdf_path)
File "C:\Users\damon\PycharmProjects\device_db_sql\venv\Lib\site-packages\fpdf\fpdf.py", line 1079, in output
f=open(name,'wb')
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '\\\\TRUENAS\\SurvTechFiles\\RET-CHECK & REP-ORDER BACKUPS\\SAVED REPAIR ORDERS\\2023\\December\\12-08-2023\\TECH_DETAILS_2023-12-08_39.pdf'
'''

dschulz1227

Cadet
I have been working on this for hours and hours and have not been able to find the correct fix.