After upgrade from TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.2 to TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.2.1 ZFS Volumes will no longer mount

GPMAsonry

Cadet
I upgraded from TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.2 to TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.2.1. After I did, I get this message after it reboots:
CRITICAL
Pool vol0001 state is OFFLINE: None

If I type "zpool status vol0001" I get this message:
cannot open 'vol0001': no such pool
If I force the mount by entering “zpool import -f vol0001“ it will work but when I reboot, it doesn't mount.

If I boot back to TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.2, it works just fine.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Please report a bug with all of your hardware description as well.

AndyMcSchopf

Dabbler
Same Problem here. All my 3 pools are not recognized after updating to 22.02.2.1 - same CRITCAL Message.
Switching back to 22.02.2 works for me too at the moment.

GPMAsonry

Cadet
I filed a bug report but I have an update:
Every time I rebooted, I also noticed three alerts:

• Pool vol27 state is OFFLINE: None
  • New ZFS version or feature flags are available for pool vol0001. Upgrading pools is a one-time process that can prevent rolling the system back to an earlier TrueNAS version. It is recommended to read the TrueNAS release notes and confirm you need the new ZFS feature flags before upgrading a pool.
  • Failed to configure kubernetes cluster for Applications: Missing "vol27/ix-applications/docker, vol27/ix-applications/k3s, vol27/ix-applications/releases" dataset(s) required for starting kubernetes.

For the heck of it, I clicked on apps > settings > unset pool. Then I clicked on apps > settings > choose pool (picked vol27). I then rebooted and all is well.

Perhaps that was coincidental but its working like a champ again.

bigjme

Dabbler
Can you post the jira by any chance so others can track it?

I have the same issue as your all seeing. No import, my network graph on the dashboard is unavailable, the same zfs version warning, and the same kubernetes error
Going into the storage section via the gui to try and import the pools shows nothing to import but the pools will import by command line if done manually

For me, 3 of 10 reboots fixed the issue, and even after a manual import, I reboot to get everything working and its not always there on the reboot. It's very sporadic

AndyMcSchopf

Dabbler

• New ZFS version or feature flags are available for pool vol0001. Upgrading pools is a one-time process that can prevent rolling the system back to an earlier TrueNAS version. It is recommended to read the TrueNAS release notes and confirm you need the new ZFS feature flags before upgrading a pool.
  • Failed to configure kubernetes cluster for Applications: Missing "vol27/ix-applications/docker, vol27/ix-applications/k3s, vol27/ix-applications/releases" dataset(s) required for starting kubernetes.

For the heck of it, I clicked on apps > settings > unset pool. Then I clicked on apps > settings > choose pool (picked vol27). I then rebooted and all is well.

I think the 3rd problem is connected to the first - if there is no pool mounted, it is obvious that the middlerwared and kubernetes cannot find the filesystems of "ix-applications" (they are not there in this moment).
I have the 2nd "Notice" since 22.02.2 but I don't think its a problem, more it is a hint that there is a new flag availiable in the new zfs Version (afaik this came with 22.02.2).

AndyMcSchopf

Dabbler

Can you please share your link to jira?

Darkflame72

Cadet
I'm having the same issue with the pool not being mounted after a restart, it also appears that some services will fail to start even after the pool has been manually remounted.

warderkeeju

Cadet
Not sure if this will help.. but having similar problems here. Even tried a fresh installation of TrueNAS Scale 22.02.2.1.

Whenever I tried to mount the pool it throws a few dozen of these kernel stack traces. Something's super unhappy.

afya

Dabbler
Just adding to this. I encountered this on TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.3.
Unsetting pool, choosing pool then restart fixed it.

AndyMcSchopf

Dabbler
A quick add from my side.
With 22.02.3 the first boot lost the pools again, but after another reboot the pools were back again.
With 22.02.4 now, I had (in sum 3 boots) always the zpools recognized.

bigjme

Dabbler
I can confirm this does seem to be resolved, my older test bench failed to mount the pools 90% of the time on 22.02.3, failing more than 7 boots in a row in most cases
On 22.02.4, it has successfully mounted and worked without issue for over 30 test reboots now